Scott helps lead SSA to soccer success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team is the 2013 WPIAL Class A champions.
And Maggie Scott's performance is a big reason why.
Scott scored two goals in the Indians' semifinal win and added two more Saturday as SSA beat the top-seeded Greensburg Central Catholic Centurions, 4-2, in the championship contest.
For her effort, Scott has been named The Herald Athlete of the Week.
When her high school days are over, Scott, a senior, will be attending Miami (Ohio). She is undecided about her major but will continue her soccer career.
“I think I can play as a freshman,” she said. “It's still up in the air, but I have a chance.”
She rates the win over Greensburg Central Catholic as her top soccer moment at Shady Side Academy.
“It was great to win the WPIAL title in my senior year,” she said. “We won it when I was a freshman, but this one was special because we hadn't beaten Greensburg Central since then and they had won the last two WPIAL titles.”
Here's a closer look at Scott:
Q: Who have been your role models?
A: My parents and brothers.
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “Pretty Little Liars.”
Q: What is the last book you've read?
A: “The Kite Runner.”
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: Cristiano Ronaldo.
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Playing soccer and hanging out with my friends.
Q: Who would you like to change places with for a day?
A: Mila Kunis.
Q: Who's the best professional athlete in Pittsburgh?
A: Sidney Crosby.
Q: What's your favorite vacation destination?
A: Stone Harbor, N.J.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Well, I told my friend, Tucker Gillman, that I would say him if I was ever asked this question. Sorry, Tucker. I'll go with Liam Hemsworth. (Editor's Note: Tucker, Maggie did say you'd be second.)
Q: Who is the most overrated athlete in sports?
A: Tim Tebow.
Q: Who would you like to see disappear from public view?
A: Definitely Miley Cyrus.
Q: Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions?
A: I wear a lucky headband and listen to music.
Q: What do you like the most about living in Pittsburgh?
A: I like everything about it.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “She's the Man.”
Q: What would make up your favorite all-time meal?
A: Steak, potatoes and ice cream.
Q: Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Q: Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Q: People would be surprised to know that I...
A: ... Can speak Chinese.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State-owned universities spend millions in race to snare students
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Innovation enhances Philadelphia’s history as Democrats convene, Pope Francis visits
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Keystone Markers give insights about towns but have fallen victim to time, theft or traffic accidents
- Pakistani military says it achieved major victory over Islamist terrorists
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia