Gateway soccer players earn all-section honors
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL playoffs are over, and the PIAA tournament has just begun, but some other soccer honors were handed out recently, and players from Gateway were among those recognized for their efforts on the pitch in the 2013 season.
Seventeen players were voted to the Section 3-AAA girls soccer team.
Gateway seniors Emily Stevens (forward), Allie Warsaw (goalkeeper) and Hanna Crable (defense) made the list, as did Gators junior forward Maggie Hilton.
Stevens scored a team-best eight goals and added seven assists for Gateway, which made the playoffs after finishing third in the Section 3 standings.
Hilton added six goals and had a team-best 11 assists.
Crable and Warsaw anchored a defensive unit that gave up 28 goals in 19 games and pitched six shutouts.
The Gators lost to Bethel Park in the WPIAL quarterfinals, 3-1, after upsetting North Allegheny, 2-1, in the first round.
On the boys side, a pair of Gateway players were voted to the Section 3-AAA Finest 16 all-star squad.
Earning recognition for the Gators were juniors Jared Jenkins and Joe Klonicki. Jenkins led the team with six goals.
Fellow junior Chris Conti was named to the all-section honorable-mention list.
It was a tough year for the Gateway boys.
The Gators finished 3-9 in the section, and six of the nine section losses were by one goal.
The Section 3 boys and girls soccer coaches voted for the all-section teams, and each coach was not permitted to vote for their own players.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib Cup: Quick passes key to early success for Beaver soccer
- High school roundup: North Allegheny topples Pine-Richland in overtime
- Charleroi, Bentworth keep winning
- Daily News roundup: Thomas Jefferson boys clinch playoff berth
- Greensburg high school roundup: Greensburg Salem boys shut out Derry
- Youthful East Allegheny girls soccer moving in right direction
- A-K Valley high school notebook: Playoff race fuzzy in Section 2-A boys
- Playoff-bound Bentworth beats Monessen
- Springdale girls soccer team fights through injuries
- Rams top Trojans in double overtime
- South Fayette girls soccer believing it can go deep into playoffs