Cochran shines in net for Shady Side Academy girls soccer
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Olivia Cochran has been starting in goal for the Indians since her sophomore year.
And she is turning a senior season to remember as the Indians kept rolling through the playoffs with a pair of PIAA victories last week.
Cochran was in goal for both of those wins, and she allowed only one goal in each game.
So far this season, she has recorded six shutouts.
For her effort, Cochran has been named The Herald Athlete of the Week.
When this season does come to an end, Cochran said she hopes to continue playing in college at the club level.
She hasn't chosen a school yet, but said she will major in business and marketing.
Her favorite SSA soccer moment was winning the WPIAL title over Greensburg Central Catholic.
“That was the first time we've beaten them since I've been playing,” she said.
Here's a closer look at Cochran:
Q: Who have been your role models in sports and in life?
A: In life, it's been my family. In sports, it's soccer player Alex Morgan.
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
Q: What's your favorite class at school?
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: Alex Morgan.
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Soccer, hanging out with my friends, my boyfriend and my sisters.
Q: Who would you like to change places with for a day?
A: Kate Middleton.
Q: Who's the best professional athlete in Pittsburgh?
A: Sidney Crosby.
Q: What's your favorite vacation destination?
A: Kiawah Island. We have a house there.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Well, my boyfriend (SSA soccer player Evan Brasinski) picked me a few weeks ago, so I said I would pick him if I were ever Athlete of the Week. I also told (teammate) Maggie Scott I would choose her just for the fun of it.
Q: Who is the most overrated athlete in sports?
A: Alex Ovechkin.
Q: Who would you like to see disappear from public view?
A: Justin Bieber.
Q: Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions?
A: I wear a lucky headband, and I change into my gloves right after the captain toss.
Q: If you could come up with a Primanti-like sandwich idea, what all would you put on it?
A: Probably just turkey, American cheese, lettuce and the fries.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: Since we're heading into the holiday season, I'll go with “Elf.”
Q: What would make up your favorite all-time meal?
A: My mom's spaghetti and meatballs and an ice cream sundae.
Q: Is there a food you refuse to eat?
A: I don't like olives.
Q: Who makes the best pizza in Pittsburgh?
Q: People would be surprised to know that I...
A: ... Am the oldest of five kids.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib Cup: Canon-McMillan girls ready for Halloween at Highmark
- Karns City blanks DuBois Central Catholic, captures District 9 soccer championship
- Previewing the WPIAL soccer championships
- Karns City girls extend D-9 girls soccer dominance
- High school roundup: Penn-Trafford earns PIAA tourney berth
- Geibel boys soccer season ends with loss to Vincentian
- High school roundup: Montour girls upset South Park in semis
- Shady Side Academy blanks South Allegheny to reach WPIAL girls soccer semifinals
- Sewickley Academy boys soccer heading back to Highmark
- Herald Spotlight Athlete: SSA keeper played key role in run to quarterfinals
- Plum girls soccer team battles through to reach quarterfinals