GCC's Fabean caps amazing career
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Donora resident Malea Fabean recently capped an outstanding scholastic soccer career at Greensburg Central Catholic by helping to lead GCC (21-2) to a second straight PIAA Class A title after a 2-1 win over Southern Columbia last week.
Fabean was named All-Section and All-WPIAL four times and made the All-State Team twice.
During her career, GCC also won the WPIAL Class A crown twice.
Over the four years that she played for the Centurions, her teams had a combined record of 81-9-1 and won 40 straight section games while outscoring opponents, 562-79.
This past season, she scored 46 goals and added 30 assists.
She scored 152 goals, ranking 11th all-time in the state. She is also the only player in state history to have eclipse 100 goals and 100 assists in a career.
Her 117 assists are tops all-time in the state.
Not only was she a top scoring talent, but she was also used at times to play defense for GCC by coach Ashley Shasko.
Shasko had her start the semifinal and final games in the PIAA playoffs as a defender.
Fabean will continue her playing career at Pitt and will begin attending classes at the university in January after graduating from GCC in December.
Her prolific scoring ability will be a welcomed addition to a Panthers team that finished 4-14-1 on the season, including 0-13 in their first season in the rugged ACC.
The conference features five teams in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament.
She is the daughter of Rob and Kristy Fabean of Donora.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: Quaker Valley boys upset No. 2 Mars
- 3 area teams eliminated
- Canon-McMillan takes down No. 7 Norwin
- Connellsville falls to Seneca Valley in first-round soccer playoff game
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- Girls’ soccer sites set
- Cohen siblings continue to pile up goals for Fox Chapel
- Mt. Pleasant boys soccer season ends on penalty kicks
- Riverview embracing underdog role in WPIAL first-round win
- TJ keeper secures 1st round win