Plum slow-pitch softball teams triumph as season continues
By Michael Love
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012, 9:29 p.m.
The Plum varsity girls slow-pitch softball team completed a suspended game against Bethel Park from the first week of the season, and the Mustangs celebrated Sunday's 18-2 victory.
The victors pounded out 19 hits in five innings in the game played at the Plum Borough fields along Ross Hollow Road.
Senior Alyssa Stonebraker led the barrage with three hits in three at bats with two home runs and three runs batted in.
Freshman Abby Costa added a home run, while sophomore Alyssa Zezza went 3 for 3.
Junior Nicolette Giovanetti went 2 for 2 and drew a walk.
The Plum defense didn't commit an error in the game.
Bethel Park ended the game with only six hits.
The win raised the varsity's record to 4-2.
The team returns to action Sunday at North Hills for a doubleheader set to begin at 5:30 p.m.
The Mustangs also were scheduled to face Peters Township in a doubleheader on Sunday, but the games were rained out, and no makeup date has been announced.
The Plum JV team faced Montour on Saturday at the high school field, and the teams split the two games played.
The Mustangs lost the first game, 10-6.
Sophomores Rachel White, Myranda Cypher, Megan Bohatch and Heather Hordubay each had two hits.
Fellow sophomores Katelin Rombach and Camryn McCabe each belted home runs.
The second game was different for Plum, as it scored a big 16-4 victory.
Rachel White went 4 for 4 in the win and knocked in four runs.
Sophomore Brianne DeGore, Rombach and Cyper each went 3 for 4, with Cypher and DeGore tallying four and three RBI, respectively.
Rombach, Cypher and sophomore Sierra McElhose hit home runs, and the defense kept Montour off the scoreboard in six of the seven innings.
Bohatch pitched both games and only walked one player in 14 combined innings.
The JV squad now is 5-3 on the season.
The team has a bye this week and is scheduled to host North Hills on Oct. 13 at 10 a.m.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Uniontown softball team hangs tough to avenge loss to Mt. Pleasant
- Lady Leps score late in 6-4 win over Southmoreland
- Bases-loaded free passes prove big in Deer Lakes’ softball victory over Burrell
- Steel Valley’s Cotter lifts Ironmen to win
- Roundup: Monessen girls win fourth straight, 5-2
- Monessen solves Tilghman, Charleroi
- Short-handed Frazier softball team falls to Carmichaels in key section matchup
- Latrobe freshman Carr tosses 1-hitter as Wildcats down Norwin
- Connellsville blanks Latrobe, eyes being factor in playoff race
- Freshman fill-in Matthews tosses 4-hitter as EF routs No. 4 Southmoreland
- Ringgold comes up short against TJ, 4-0