Plum slow-pitch team falls in playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity slow-pitch softball team entered the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Softball League playoffs on Oct. 27 and played West Allegheny in the first round of the 13-team tournament.
Both teams had to navigate through rain and cold temperatures, and in the end, the Mustangs were not able to come out on top.
Plum was not able to put a run on the board through four innings, and the team managed only one hit in an 18-4 loss. Camryn McCabe had the lone hit for the Mustangs. Brianne DeGore walked twice, while Jess Snider, McCabe, Amanda Zimmerman and Nicholette Giovanetti also drew walks.
Plum finished its first season with a record of 12-3. Snider and fellow seniors Jessica Allman, Amber Shields and Alyssa Stonebraker played their finals games in a Plum uniform.
The junior varsity team also wrapped up its season on Oct. 27 with a pair of games against Bethel Park Black.
Plum lost the first game, 18-7, in five innings.
Brianne DeGore hit a two-run home run and finished with two runs batted in, while Heather Hordubay and Kiersten Torma each went 2 for 2, and Sierra McElhose had two RBIs.
In the second game, shortened to four innings because of the weather, Plum dominated and won by a 10-1 score. Amy DiNatale, Katelin Rombach, Torma, Hordubay and Megan Bohatch each had two hits.
DeGore added a two-run home run and knocked in three runs. Hordubay also had two RBI to go with her two-hit game.
The Plum JV finished 10-4 overall, good for second place in the standings.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388- 5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Pittsburgh author: ‘Supernatural’ generally can be explained
- Pitt students clean up Mon Valley neighborhoods for annual service day
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- ReClaim McKeesport ambassadors transform vacant lot
- North Versailles Township commissioner opposes closing Green Valley Primary School
- Animal Rescue League unveils drive to build new center
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial