Plum slow-pitch team falls in playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity slow-pitch softball team entered the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Softball League playoffs on Oct. 27 and played West Allegheny in the first round of the 13-team tournament.
Both teams had to navigate through rain and cold temperatures, and in the end, the Mustangs were not able to come out on top.
Plum was not able to put a run on the board through four innings, and the team managed only one hit in an 18-4 loss. Camryn McCabe had the lone hit for the Mustangs. Brianne DeGore walked twice, while Jess Snider, McCabe, Amanda Zimmerman and Nicholette Giovanetti also drew walks.
Plum finished its first season with a record of 12-3. Snider and fellow seniors Jessica Allman, Amber Shields and Alyssa Stonebraker played their finals games in a Plum uniform.
The junior varsity team also wrapped up its season on Oct. 27 with a pair of games against Bethel Park Black.
Plum lost the first game, 18-7, in five innings.
Brianne DeGore hit a two-run home run and finished with two runs batted in, while Heather Hordubay and Kiersten Torma each went 2 for 2, and Sierra McElhose had two RBIs.
In the second game, shortened to four innings because of the weather, Plum dominated and won by a 10-1 score. Amy DiNatale, Katelin Rombach, Torma, Hordubay and Megan Bohatch each had two hits.
DeGore added a two-run home run and knocked in three runs. Hordubay also had two RBI to go with her two-hit game.
The Plum JV finished 10-4 overall, good for second place in the standings.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388- 5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High-scoring Deer Lakes softball not taking success for granted
- Southmoreland’s Troisi-Clark proving she belongs on pitcher’s mound
- Franklin Regional softball seeking wins as section race heats up
- North Allegheny softball off to fast start despite busy schedule
- High school roundup: Moon downs defending champion West Allegheny
- Previewing the 2015 WPIAL softball season
- Norwin softball battling for section title
- Freeport wins innings, game against Kittanning, 7-3
- East Allegheny softball chasing winning season
- South Fayette softball ready to change fortunes in section play
- Penn-Trafford softball scores 11 runs in a row, pounds Mt. Pleasant