Leader Times roundup: Freeport softball team beats West Shamokin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steady action on the basepaths allowed West Shamokin and Freeport's softball players to stay warm during their season and Section 3-AA opener Tuesday afternoon.
Freeport prevailed, 16-11, in a game filled with offense and errors. Taylor Massart went 5 for 5 with two home runs and two doubles to lead the Yellowjackets (1-0, 1-0), who finished with 16 hits. Massart drove in five runs, while Alyssa Meta had four RBI during a 3-for-4 performance. Emily Lindsey also went 3 for 4, and both she and Meta doubled.
Tori Lowry doubled for West Shamokin (0-1, 0-1), which finished with six hits but received a boost from Freeport's eight errors.
Freeport led, 8-1, after two innings, but West Shamokin went ahead, 10-9, in the top of the fifth. The Yellowjackets responded with seven runs in the bottom half of the inning.
Ford City 19, Shady Side Academy 1 (3 inn.) — Karlee Smith drove in five runs on two hits including a triple, as Ford City rolled to a Section 3-AA win in its season opener. Jenna Wolsonovich also tripled and drove in four runs. Andrea Markilinski struck out six to pick up the pitching win.
Jack Yeucik doubled for Shady Side Academy (0-1, 0-1), which had one hit.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Exit poll: Greece’s anti-bailout Syriza party wins election
- Linemen commit to PSU, boosting Franklin’s recruiting class
- Northeast braces for ‘potentially historic’ snowstorm
- Winter weather advisory for Western Pa. in effect until Monday afternoon
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Review: ‘Rodelinda’ a big success for Pittsburgh Opera
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Pittsburgh police seek North Side carjacking suspect
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash