Leader Times roundup: Freeport softball team beats West Shamokin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steady action on the basepaths allowed West Shamokin and Freeport's softball players to stay warm during their season and Section 3-AA opener Tuesday afternoon.
Freeport prevailed, 16-11, in a game filled with offense and errors. Taylor Massart went 5 for 5 with two home runs and two doubles to lead the Yellowjackets (1-0, 1-0), who finished with 16 hits. Massart drove in five runs, while Alyssa Meta had four RBI during a 3-for-4 performance. Emily Lindsey also went 3 for 4, and both she and Meta doubled.
Tori Lowry doubled for West Shamokin (0-1, 0-1), which finished with six hits but received a boost from Freeport's eight errors.
Freeport led, 8-1, after two innings, but West Shamokin went ahead, 10-9, in the top of the fifth. The Yellowjackets responded with seven runs in the bottom half of the inning.
Ford City 19, Shady Side Academy 1 (3 inn.) — Karlee Smith drove in five runs on two hits including a triple, as Ford City rolled to a Section 3-AA win in its season opener. Jenna Wolsonovich also tripled and drove in four runs. Andrea Markilinski struck out six to pick up the pitching win.
Jack Yeucik doubled for Shady Side Academy (0-1, 0-1), which had one hit.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Jury selection for Ferrante trial begins today
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal