Daily News roundup: Arico's homer helps keep EF softball unbeaten
By Staff Reports
Published: Thursday, April 4, 2013, 10:57 p.m.
Caitlyn Arico hit a three-run homer in the third, and Jennifer Keefer had three hits as Elizabeth Forward (5-0, 2-0) stayed unbeaten with a Section 3-AAA win over visiting Yough, 9-2. Portia McBride picked up the win as she struck out five and allowed only three hits. The Warriors are the only team in the section with a 2-0 record.
Belle Vernon 3, Thomas Jefferson 2 — Nicole Ashcraft homered in the sixth to tie the game at 2-2 then won it in the eighth with a RBI single as Belle Vernon stunned Thomas Jefferson in Section 3-AAA. Lacey Washowich picked up the win for Belle Vernon (1-4, 1-2). Taylor Dubs was the hard-luck loser for TJ (1-1, 1-1).
Serra Catholic 16, California 5 — Serra scored 10 runs in the fourth inning to come away with the Section 2-A win. Anna Quattrone had three hits, including a double, while freshman Gia Husnick hit her second home run in as many days. Allie Taylor also had two hits for Serra (3-1, 2-1) as Nicole Jezerski picked up the win.
Serra Catholic 2, Springdale 0 — Dylan Kugler and Dan Popovich each drove in a run in the top of the first for Serra Catholic (4-0) in the nonsection win. Wayne Hydak struck out seven in five innings to improve to 2-0 on the year. Serra managed only five hits off loser Alex Demonte.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum softball shortstop hitting nearly .800
- Steel Valley softball falls to Charleroi
- Freshman fill-in Matthews tosses 4-hitter as EF routs No. 4 Southmoreland
- Chartiers Valley softball team hopes strong start leads to different results
- Penn-Trafford softball rounding into form
- Quaker Valley’s young softball lineup gaining experience
- After close calls, Plum in good spot in section
- Jeannette softball winning arms race in section
- Jeannette softball remain undefeated in section play
- Butler softball coach wants to restore winning attitude
- Yencik key to SSA softball success