Daily News roundup: Arico's homer helps keep EF softball unbeaten
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Caitlyn Arico hit a three-run homer in the third, and Jennifer Keefer had three hits as Elizabeth Forward (5-0, 2-0) stayed unbeaten with a Section 3-AAA win over visiting Yough, 9-2. Portia McBride picked up the win as she struck out five and allowed only three hits. The Warriors are the only team in the section with a 2-0 record.
Belle Vernon 3, Thomas Jefferson 2 — Nicole Ashcraft homered in the sixth to tie the game at 2-2 then won it in the eighth with a RBI single as Belle Vernon stunned Thomas Jefferson in Section 3-AAA. Lacey Washowich picked up the win for Belle Vernon (1-4, 1-2). Taylor Dubs was the hard-luck loser for TJ (1-1, 1-1).
Serra Catholic 16, California 5 — Serra scored 10 runs in the fourth inning to come away with the Section 2-A win. Anna Quattrone had three hits, including a double, while freshman Gia Husnick hit her second home run in as many days. Allie Taylor also had two hits for Serra (3-1, 2-1) as Nicole Jezerski picked up the win.
Serra Catholic 2, Springdale 0 — Dylan Kugler and Dan Popovich each drove in a run in the top of the first for Serra Catholic (4-0) in the nonsection win. Wayne Hydak struck out seven in five innings to improve to 2-0 on the year. Serra managed only five hits off loser Alex Demonte.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Leechburg softball wins, ties WPIAL record with 29th straight playoff berth
- Plum softball’s playoff chase comes down to final week
- Weather wreaks havoc on Bishop Canevin softball schedule
- Penn-Trafford softball routs Connellsville, 14-3
- BVA inches closer to 3-AAA crown
- Gateway softball’s Lewis showing power at plate, in pitcher’s circle
- No. 1 Deer Lakes breezes past Freeport
- Belle Vernon softball tops Thomas Jefferson
- Baldwin softball team continues to roll despite injured ace
- Patient hitters propelling Chartiers Valley softball
- Despite low numbers, Riverview softball team keeping it together