Daily News roundup: Arico's homer helps keep EF softball unbeaten
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Caitlyn Arico hit a three-run homer in the third, and Jennifer Keefer had three hits as Elizabeth Forward (5-0, 2-0) stayed unbeaten with a Section 3-AAA win over visiting Yough, 9-2. Portia McBride picked up the win as she struck out five and allowed only three hits. The Warriors are the only team in the section with a 2-0 record.
Belle Vernon 3, Thomas Jefferson 2 — Nicole Ashcraft homered in the sixth to tie the game at 2-2 then won it in the eighth with a RBI single as Belle Vernon stunned Thomas Jefferson in Section 3-AAA. Lacey Washowich picked up the win for Belle Vernon (1-4, 1-2). Taylor Dubs was the hard-luck loser for TJ (1-1, 1-1).
Serra Catholic 16, California 5 — Serra scored 10 runs in the fourth inning to come away with the Section 2-A win. Anna Quattrone had three hits, including a double, while freshman Gia Husnick hit her second home run in as many days. Allie Taylor also had two hits for Serra (3-1, 2-1) as Nicole Jezerski picked up the win.
Serra Catholic 2, Springdale 0 — Dylan Kugler and Dan Popovich each drove in a run in the top of the first for Serra Catholic (4-0) in the nonsection win. Wayne Hydak struck out seven in five innings to improve to 2-0 on the year. Serra managed only five hits off loser Alex Demonte.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in North Oakland
- PennDOT says inbound Fort Pitt Tunnel will close around-the-clock this weekend
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in prescription narcotics operation
- Highmark members to keep maternity care at Magee in 2015
- Pitt’s 2015 schedule includes 5 road games in 1st 7 games
- Young Hempfield swimmers look to make impact at WCCA meet
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Special Olympians to take to center court at Pitt-Greensburg
- Greensburg Salem swimmers preparing for WPIAL meet
- Porterfield: Donegal Christian school plans blood drive