High school roundup: No. 3 Shaler's bats stay hot in victory over Pine-Richland
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Bri Dodson pitched a complete game with three strikeouts to lead Class AAAA No. 3 Shaler past host Pine-Richland, 9-4, in Section 3 Tuesday afternoon.
Haley Stedeford went 2 for 4 with a home run and four RBI, and A.J. Nichols was 4 for 4 with an RBI for the Titans (8-1, 8-0). The Shaler bats have been hot the last four games, averaging 10 runs in that span.
Hempfield 6, Franklin Regional 4 — In Section 1-AAAA, Hope Pehrson allowed five hits as Hempfield (8-3, 5-2) won.
Latrobe 6, Connellsville 3 — Leah Poponick went 2 for 3 with two RBI to lead No. 2 Latrobe (8-1, 6-0) to a Section 1-AAAA win.
Plum 15, Oakland Catholic 0 — Jordan Seneca led the high-powered Plum offense, going 3 for 3 with a three-run home run as Plum (5-2, 4-1) cruised in Section 2-AAAA.
Canon-McMillan 7, Mt. Lebanon 1 — Alyana Astuto tossed a complete game with five strikeouts to lift Class AAAA No. 1 Canon-McMillan in Section 4. Linda Rush and Abby McCartney each hit doubles for the Big Macs (7-1, 7-0).
New Castle 9, Ambridge 4 — Taylor Passerrello went 3 for 3 and Dana Perrotta went 4 for 4 as New Castle (4-5, 3-3) knocked off Class AAA No. 2 Ambridge (6-1, 5-1) in Section 1.
West Allegheny 9, Montour 8 — Brianna Lach went 3 for 4 with three RBI to help the Indians (4-3, 4-3) win in Section 2-AAA.
Blackhawk 4, Central Valley 3 — Jessica Potts hit a two-run single in the top of the sixth that proved to be the game-winner for the Cougars (3-3, 3-3) in Section 1-AAA.
West Mifflin 6, South Park 1 — Paige Flore struck out a pair in a complete-game win for the No. 5 Titans (10-1, 7-1) in Section 3-AAA.
Yough 11, Belle Vernon 1 — Macy Mularski struck out 10 in five innings to lead Yough (7-3, 5-3) in Section 3-AAA. Allie Harvey went 3 for 4 with two doubles and two RBI and Cassidy Pearce had three singles and two RBI for the Cougars.
Chartiers-Houston 17, Washington 0 — Kayla Briggs pitched a complete-game shutout, allowing just one hit and striking out eight for Class AA No. 2 Chartiers-Houston (11-0, 8-0) in its Section 2 rout.
Latrobe 7, Kiski Area 0 —Jonathan Kolling threw a no-hitter, as Latrobe (4-4, 3-2) won in Section 2-AAAA.
North Hills 8, New Castle 2 — T.J. Winkler was 3 for 4 with a double and three RBI, as the Indians (7-4, 3-1) cruised in Section 1-AAAA.
Pine-Richland 4, Moon 1 — Jamie Switalski went 3 for 3 with a pair of RBI and he picked up the win for Class AAAA No. 4 Pine-Richland (7-1, 3-1) in Section 4.
Serra Catholic 15, Monessen 0 — Dylan Kugler went 4 for 5 with five RBI and Wayne Hydak struck out seven in six innings to lead the Eagles (9-1, 4-0) in Section 2-A.
Franklin Regional 15, Norwin 14 — Brandon Nania hit a grand slam and had five RBI to lead Franklin Regional (8-2) to a nonsection win.
Track and field
The Beaver girls track and field team secured its first Section 3-AA title in 13 years with victories over Ellis, 134-16, OLSH, 111-39, and Winchester Thurston, 143-6, on Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- NFL notebook: Redskins re-sign star linebacker Kerrigan
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- Beaver County widow won’t lose home over $6.30 late fee
- Drone to help Northern Regional police zone in on missing, fleeing people
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Vallozzi’s Pittsburgh transfers great fare it’s been known for in the Pittsburgh region to the Steel City
- Arsenal hard cider now served at Soergel Orchards in Franklin Park