Daily News roundup: Norwin baseball falls to Franklin Regional in shootout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin scored nine runs in the bottom of the first but couldn't hold on as Franklin Regional's Brandon Nania hit a grand slam and drove in five to lead the Panthers (8-2) to a 15-14 come-from-behind victory over the Knights (4-3).
Cody Stanoscek racked up four hits, including three doubles, while Arizona recruit J.J. Matijevic pounded out a pair of two-baggers as part of his three-hit game, but it wasn't enough as Norwin's three-game winning streak came to an end.
Serra Catholic 15, Monessen 0 — Wayne Hydak struck out seven in six innings of work, while Dylan Kugler lashed four hits to help the Eagles (9-1, 4-0) retain their hold on first place in Section 2-A. Serra Catholic has scored at least 13 runs in each of its last three games.
Yough 7, Laurel Highlands 0 — C.J. Vargo tossed a complete-game four-hitter and struck out five to help the Cougars (4-5, 3-2) move into third place in Section 2-AAA.
Elizabeth Forward 10, Ringgold 7 — Luke Badezan pitched a complete game and struck out nine, while Ryan Wardropper went 3 for 4 with two RBI to lead the Warriors to the Section 4-AAA win. Elizabeth Forward (9-2, 3-2) moved into third place.
Southmoreland 13, East Allegheny 9 — The Wildcats (1-7, 1-3) allowed seven runs in the second inning and fought back to get into the game, but the Scotties (4-6, 1-4) were too much. Ryan Coles went 4 for 5 with two doubles in the East Allegheny loss.
West Mifflin 6, South Park 1 — Paige Flore allowed nine hits, but the Titans defense came up big as West Mifflin (10-1, 7-1) remained alone in first place in Section 3-AAA
Flore struck out two and walked just one.
Yough 11, Belle Vernon 1 (5 inn.) — Allie Harvey doubled twice as part of her three hits and Cassidy Pearce had three singles to support pitcher Macy Mularski as the Cougars (7-3, 5-3) moved into a tie with South Park for third place in Section 3-AAA.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Emergency room visits decline as navigators steer patients to proper medical care
- Arnold man pleads to drug, money laundering charges
- Teen found in Riverview Park last year died of overdose
- Ford City officials discuss code enforcement
- Armstrong spared worst of nor’easter’s wrath
- Penn Hills superintendent resigns
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- Paving funds could go to housing repairs