Leader Times Roundup: Strong offense lifts Leechburg baseball over Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A formidable foursome provided Leechburg's baseball team the bulk of its offense during a Section 4-A road win over Springdale on Tuesday.
Mike Koleny drove in three runs, and Wesley Gibson, Quinten Wolfgang and Tyler Dubovi each had two RBI in the 12-8 victory for the Blue Devils (2-3, 2-2), who scored nine of their runs in the third and fourth innings combined. Dubovi also earned the win as the pitcher for the Blue Devils.
Springdale (3-3, 1-1) scored three runs each in the fourth and sixth innings.
Freeport 8, Burrell 4 — Ethan McCormick went the distance for the Yellowjackets (6-1, 4-1) and finished with nine strikeouts in the Section 3-AA win. With the bases loaded in the top of second, Damon Smith laced a three-run double down the left-field line to break the game open for Freeport.
Robbie Miller had three hits, including a double.
Burrell (2-5, 2-2) trailed, 8-1, after three innings.
Indiana 16, Kittanning 5 (5 inn.) — Kittanning (1-6) trailed, 6-2, through three innings but allowed Indiana (8-2) to score 10 in the bottom of the fourth during the nonsection game.
Apollo-Ridge 7-15, Shady Side Academy 3-1 — In the first half of a doubleheader, Sammy Geracia doubled for Apollo-Ridge (2-5, 2-5), which scored all of its runs in the first four innings in the seven-inning Section 3-AA win over Shady Side Academy (0-8, 0-8). In the mercy-rule victory, Geracia doubled, tripled, homered and drove in four runs, and Dana Speranza doubled twice and had four RBI for the Vikings.
Leechburg 15, Springdale 0 (3 inn.) — Kenzie Young hit a two-run homer and struck out eight to pick up the win as Leechburg (5-1, 5-1) defeated Springdale (1-6, 1-5) in Section 3-A.
Lindsey Rowe went 4 for 4 and drove in two runs, and Miranda Reesman hit a two-run double and finished with three RBI.
Missy Jones added a two-run double for Leechburg.
Deer Lakes 6, Ford City 0 — Tiffany Edwards hit a two-run double in the bottom of the first for Deer Lakes (8-0, 7-0) in the Section 3-AA home win over Ford City (4-4, 4-4). As the winning pitcher, she finished with 11 strikeouts and three hits allowed.
Hannah Blinn also drove in two runs for Deer Lakes.
Burrell 10, Freeport 0 (5 inn.) — Claire Fisher surrendered only three hits and struck out six as Burrell (7-1, 7-1) rolled to a Section 3-AA win over Freeport (6-3, 6-3). Fisher also hit a two-run triple, and Haley Kuzmirek hit a three-run homer.
Each of Freeport's previous two losses was decided by one run.
Penn Hills 3, West Shamokin 0 — Damon Craig finished with seven kills, and Kevin Kaplon had five kills and three blocks for points during the nonsection loss for West Shamokin (3-3), which fell by scores of 25-23, 25-18 and 29-27. Setter Matt Marsh had 19 assists and 10 service points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’