Frazier softball team strikes early to defeat Monessen
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The seniors on the Frazier softball team have known nothing but success. The Commodores reached the second round of the WPIAL Class A playoffs in each of the past three seasons.
This year looks to be even more promising, as Frazier has been enjoying continued success in Section 2-A.
Frazier (9-1, 8-1) beat Monessen, 10-2, on Tuesday using the same formula it has all season: scoring early, then allowing senior Andrea Lash to shut down the opposition.
The Commodores struck for five runs in the first inning, and that was all Lash needed.
“That's pretty much what we have been doing all season,” Frazier coach Paul Harvey said. “We score early and then let her do what she does.”
A two-out, two-run triple by Monessen's Taylor Guzzie in the bottom of the sixth inning cost Lash a shutout. Lash finished with a four-hitter, struck out six and walked none.
Kelsey Holp and Caitlyn Brown stroked RBI singles in the first inning, and Lash added a two-run single.
The score was 10-0 in the bottom of the sixth when Guzzie smacked her second triple to get Monessen on the board.
“That's a good team,” Harvey said of the Greyhounds (5-5, 3-5). “They are winning more and they are in the playoff race, and they will only get better.”
For the Greyhounds, falling behind early was costly.
“We did exactly what we have tried not to do this season, and that's let a team jump on us early,” Monessen coach Bo Teets said. “After the first two innings, it was a pretty even game and that is one of the better teams in Class A. We just have to learn how to win.”
For Frazier, Alexis Livingstone, Brittany Strothers and Holp each had two hits.
Monessen's Shelby Minardi took the loss, giving up 11 hits with four strikeouts and a walk.
Jeff Oliver is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Deadly snake bites on the rise in Western Pa.
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- Pittsburgh Police motorcycle officer seriously injured in crash
- LaBar: Piper’s influence can’t be understated
- Man shot Friday in Washington