High school roundup: No. 2 Latrobe shuts out Connellsville
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ashley Perillo's grand slam powered No. 2-ranked Latrobe to a 9-0 victory over Connellsville in Section 1-AAAA Wednesday afternoon.
Perillo had six RBI, and Olivia Gumbita scattered two hits in a complete-game win.
Jessica Secrest doubled for Connellsville (2-6, 2-6).
Belle Vernon 13, Southmoreland 3 (5 inn.) — Belle Vernon sent 12 batters to the plate and collected eight hits in an eight-run fifth inning while cruising to a Section 3-AAA win. Deanna Hileman had three hits for Belle Vernon (4-9, 2-7). Briana Brunner hit a three-run home run in the first inning for Southmoreland (3-6, 3-5).
Hampton 4, Kittanning 1 — Kittanning (3-4, 3-3) finished with eight hits to Hampton's five, but the Talbots (3-3, 3-3) came out on top in a Section 5-AAA contest. Hampton's Allison Clifford had the game's only extra-base hit, a double.
Vincentian 18, St. Joseph 1 (5 inn.) — In Section 3-A, Danielle Melvin went 4 for 4 with 10 RBI to lead Vincentian (5-2, 5-2) to victory. Kim Corcoran earned the win and had four hits, including a home run.
Shenango 9, Western Beaver 4 — Taylor Biddle went 1 for 2 with three RBI and scored a run to lead Shenango (7-5, 6-2) to a Section 4-A win. Jayme Chaffee had three hits for Western Beaver (4-4, 4-4).
Indiana 13, West Shamokin 0 (5 inn.) — In nonsection play, Kaitlyn Palmer had three hits, including a home run, to pace Indiana (3-5).
Penn-Trafford 15, Mt. Pleasant 7 — Tori Lago went 4 for 4 with a grand slam and four RBI to lead Penn-Trafford (7-4) to a nonsection victory. Lex Ryan and Jess Zavolta also had three hits for the Warriors.
Shady Side Academy 8, Northgate 7 — Stephanie Betts delivered the game-winning RBI as Shady Side Academy (1-8) picked up a come-from-behind win in nonsection play. Rylee McGonigal had four hits for Northgate (0-10).
Ligonier Valley 13, Northern Cambria 0 (5 inn.) — Maddy Grimm went 3 for 4 with a home run and three RBI to lead Ligonier Valley (4-0) to a Heritage Conference win.
North Catholic 4, Springdale 3 — Shane Haggerty hit a two-run, walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh to lead North Catholic to a Section 4-A win. Nick Tunstall struck out 14 in the complete-game victory.
Central Valley 15, Sto-Rox 0 (4 inn.) — Rocco Martini struck out seven and scattered three hits in a nonsection win for Central Valley (7-2).
Hempfield 3, Mt. Lebanon 1 — Zack Martinelli earned a victory as No. 3 Hempfield (7-1) won a nonsection game.
West Allegheny 7, Keystone Oaks 6 — Shea Beaumont went 2 for 3 with a home run and three RBI to lead West Allegheny (8-3) to a nonsection win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Carnegie Mellon grad’s tweak to tweets turns 7
- Police officer in Fayette County charged in apparent domestic dispute