Young Baldwin lineup solidified by Suhoski from her shortstop position
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Baldwin's varsity softball team entered this week on a five-game winning streak.
The Lady Highlanders defeated Upper St. Clair twice, Chartiers Valley and Peters Township in section play, along with Penn Hills in a nonsection game.
Baldwin improved to 7-4 overall and 6-4 in Section 4-AAAA with a 14-0 win at home against Upper St. Clair on a chilly Saturday afternoon.
Not only is the winning streak impressive, the Lady Highlanders are winning with an extremely young lineup.
Among the players in the starting lineup against Upper St. Clair were six freshmen — pitcher Jaimie Schleicher, catcher Kayla Eberst, second baseman Ashley Brady, third baseman Charlotte Nieman, and outfielders Mallory O'Brien and Ana Hale.
Schleicher and Hale both are listed as a pitcher/outfielder on the varsity roster.
The Lady Highlanders' infield and starting lineup is solidifed by senior shortstop Abbey Suhoski, who is joined in the lineup by juniors Melissa Paterni, at first base; and Breanna Meyer, a third baseman/outfielder.
Suhoski, who will attend Seton Hill University on an athletic scholarship, and Paterni are the team's co-captains.
In Baldwin's seven wins prior to this week's action, the local club generated a total of 76 runs, an average of almost 11 runs per contest.
The closest result came last week, when the Lady Highlanders edged Peters Township, 4-1, to avenge an 11-7 setback in their season opener.
Baldwin was slated to play Brashear at home on Tuesday. The Lady Highlanders won by a 13-1 score in their first matchup earlier in the year.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tennessee QB considers transfer to Pitt
- Central Catholic safety Petrishen to sign with Penn State
- City crews getting ready for winter storm expected Sunday, Monday
- Penn State falls at Illinois on late layup
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak
- 4-car pileup reported on Bower Hill Road
- Video: Islamic State group beheads Japanese journalist
- Oldies concert to give Charleroi school programs a boost
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Brownsville hopes grant can help launch project