Young Baldwin lineup solidified by Suhoski from her shortstop position
By Ray Fisher
Published: Wednesday, April 24, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Baldwin's varsity softball team entered this week on a five-game winning streak.
The Lady Highlanders defeated Upper St. Clair twice, Chartiers Valley and Peters Township in section play, along with Penn Hills in a nonsection game.
Baldwin improved to 7-4 overall and 6-4 in Section 4-AAAA with a 14-0 win at home against Upper St. Clair on a chilly Saturday afternoon.
Not only is the winning streak impressive, the Lady Highlanders are winning with an extremely young lineup.
Among the players in the starting lineup against Upper St. Clair were six freshmen — pitcher Jaimie Schleicher, catcher Kayla Eberst, second baseman Ashley Brady, third baseman Charlotte Nieman, and outfielders Mallory O'Brien and Ana Hale.
Schleicher and Hale both are listed as a pitcher/outfielder on the varsity roster.
The Lady Highlanders' infield and starting lineup is solidifed by senior shortstop Abbey Suhoski, who is joined in the lineup by juniors Melissa Paterni, at first base; and Breanna Meyer, a third baseman/outfielder.
Suhoski, who will attend Seton Hill University on an athletic scholarship, and Paterni are the team's co-captains.
In Baldwin's seven wins prior to this week's action, the local club generated a total of 76 runs, an average of almost 11 runs per contest.
The closest result came last week, when the Lady Highlanders edged Peters Township, 4-1, to avenge an 11-7 setback in their season opener.
Baldwin was slated to play Brashear at home on Tuesday. The Lady Highlanders won by a 13-1 score in their first matchup earlier in the year.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Twins ‘Gooden’ enough to win as McKeesport edges Plum
- After close calls, Plum in good spot in section
- Norwin Knights shine in win over Kiski Area
- Plum softball shortstop hitting nearly .800
- Freshman fill-in Matthews tosses 4-hitter as EF routs No. 4 Southmoreland
- Daily News roundup: TJ edges Southmoreland in Section 3
- High school roundup: West Allegheny softball earns Section 2 win over Montour
- Charleroi Area girls keep hitting, 11-5
- California, Luko keep rolling with 8-1 win