Greensburg Tribune-Review high school roundup: Jeannette softball continues winning streak
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette took another step toward clinching the second playoff berth in team history Thursday with a 6-5 win over Riverview in Section 3-A.
Nicole Hall had two RBI and threw a complete game for the Jayhawks (10-3, 8-2), who won their ninth straight and avenged a early-season loss to the Raiders (8-4, 7-2).
Leechburg (9-2, 9-2) holds a half-game lead atop the Section 3-A standings, with Jeannette, Riverview and Vincentian (6-4, 6-4) in the hunt for three playoff berths.
Jeannette has remaining section games against St. Joseph (3-8, 3-7) and Springdale (2-9, 2-7).
Greensburg Central Catholic 8, Steel Valley 2 — Katie Hickey went 3 for 4 to help the Centurions come within one victory of locking up a share of their first Section 4-AA title since 2008. GCC (8-4, 7-1) can win the title outright with victories in their final two games against East Allegheny and Charleroi.
Hempfield 5, Connellsville 2 — Justyne Falbo went 2 for 4 with three RBI and a home run, and No. 4 Hempfield (12-3, 8-2) picked up a Section 1-AAAA win.
Penn-Trafford 7, Franklin Regional 0 — Lex Ryan had four hits and three RBI, and Tory Lago had three hits for Penn-Trafford (8-5, 6-4) in Section 1-AAAA.
Southmoreland 3, Elizabeth Forward 2 — In Section 3-AAA, Anna Gatti earned the win, and Sarah Brown doubled to lead Southmoreland (5-6, 5-5) to victory. Courtney Hrabosky tripled for No. 2 Elizabeth Forward (11-3, 7-3).
Greensburg Salem 13, Laurel Highlands 0 (5 inn.) — Jayne Oberdorf threw a five-inning no-hitter with 10 strikeouts, as No. 1 Greensburg Salem (12-1, 10-0) cruised in Section 4-AAA. Caitlin Stoner homered for the Lions.
Mt. Pleasant 4, Brownsville 1 — Jocelyn Gula picked up the win as Mt. Pleasant (10-4, 9-2) was victorious in Section 4-AAA.
Ligonier Valley 10, Purchase Line 0 (5 inn.) — Maddie Grimm had three hits, and Hailey Umbaugh struck out nine and allowed one hit in a Heritage Conference win for Ligonier Valley (5-1).
Hempfield 14, Kiski Area 3 — Gregg Martin and Jeff Livengood had extra-base hits, and Tyler Tubbs earned the win for Hempfield (10-2, 7-1) in Section 2-AAAA.
Latrobe 5, Albert Gallatin 1 — Alec Spangler had three hits, including a double, to help Latrobe (6-5, 5-3) to a Section 2-AAAA win.
Norwin 5, Connellsville 4 — Dom Farina had three hits, and Noah Smith earned the win as Norwin (6-5, 5-3) won in Section 2-AAAA. Connellsville (5-5, 3-5) had two runners on in the seventh after rallying for three runs but couldn't tie the game.
Franklin Regional 2, Baldwin 1 — Danny McGrath went 2 for 4 with two RBI and hit a walk-off double to lead Franklin Regional (11-3, 5-2) to a Section 3-AAAA victory.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Pittsburgh author: ‘Supernatural’ generally can be explained
- Pitt students clean up Mon Valley neighborhoods for annual service day
- ReClaim McKeesport ambassadors transform vacant lot
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- North Versailles Township commissioner opposes closing Green Valley Primary School