High school roundup: Melvin leads Vincentian softball to victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Danielle Melvin had four hits, including two home runs, and also struck out 15 as Vincentian Academy softball picked up a 14-4 win over Ellis School in five innings during Section 3-A play Thursday.
Kim Corcoran added three hits, including a double, for Vincentian (8-4, 8-4).
Woodland Hills 10, Penn Hills 0 (5 inn.) — Hannah Bennaugh had three hits, including two doubles, as Woodland Hills (7-5, 7-5) won in Section 2-AAAA and qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 2002.
Montour 6, Moon 3 — Malory Gertz tripled, and Rachel Donovan earned the win as Montour (12-5, 9-3) won in Section 2-AAA. Kaiti Dackowski homered for Moon (5-9, 4-8).
West Allegheny 1, South Fayette 0 — Emily Garvin homered to give West Allegheny (10-5, 8-4) a Section 2-AAA win.
Thomas Jefferson 4, West Mifflin 2 — Taylor Dubs earned the victory as Thomas Jefferson (3-11, 2-10) won in Section 3-AAA. Syd Zalice had three hits for No. 4 West Mifflin (13-3, 9-3).
Waynesburg 2, Washington 1 — Felicia Spitznogle went 3 for 3 with a double and scored both runs for Waynesburg (9-9, 6-6) in a Section 2-AA victory.
Deer Lakes 16, Shady Side Academy 0 (3 inn.) — Tiffany Edwards threw a no-hitter, allowing one walk with five strikeouts as No. 1 Deer Lakes (15-0, 14-0) cruised in Section 3-AA.
Beaver 6, Beaver Falls 1 — Casey Farkasovsky struck out seven and had three hits to lead Beaver (9-5, 7-5) to a Section 5-AA win.
Bishop Canevin 12, Cornell 6 — Margaret Clarke had three hits and four RBI as Bishop Canevin (8-5, 8-4) won in Section 1-A.
Sto-Rox 15, Northgate 0 (3 inn.) — Mary Cersosimo struck out six in a three-inning no-hitter for Sto-Rox (12-3, 11-2) in Section 1-A.
Serra Catholic 10, Monessen 5 — Amy McNeil had three hits and three RBI, and Sam Adrekanic struck out six in a Section 2-A win for Serra Catholic (10-5, 9-5).
Riverview 22, Springdale 0 (5 inn.) — Hannah Larkin pitched a five-inning no-hitter, striking out five and walking one, and also went 4 for 4 with four RBI and four runs to lead Riverview (9-4, 8-6) to a Section 3-A victory.
Ambridge 9, Blackhawk 0 — Shawn Holman struck out 15 and allowed one hit in a Section 1-AAA win for Ambridge (9-6, 4-5). Steve Antolic had three hits for Ambridge.
Quaker Valley 8, New Brighton 4 (9 inn.) — Ben Utterback scored on an error in the ninth to seal a win for No. 3 Quaker Valley (15-0, 12-0) in Section 1-AA. The Quakers' Clayton Bouchard had four hits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Detained Americans plead U.S. for assistance
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Pressure on European Central Bank grows as economic recovery founders
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals