Frazier section co-champ
By The Valley Independent
Published: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:31 a.m.
Frazier rolled over visiting California, 13-1, in five innings Thursday in Section 2 A softball.
The victory allowed the Lady Commodores (15-2, 13-1) to close the section campaign as co-champions with Carmichaels. Carmichaels and Frazier split their two games this season.
Against California (3-13, 2-12), Andrea Lash fired a four-hitter, allowing only a single run in the third inning.
As has been their trait this season, the Lady Commodores jumped out early, scoring four runs in the first inning and tacking on five more in the second for a 9-0 lead.
Frazier had 13 hits with Alexis Livingstone smacking two doubles and Monica Joseph adding a triple.
E. Forward 2, BV Area 1
EF (13-3, 9-3) pulled out the win when Ashley Hoak singled in pinch-runner Jessica Griffey in the bottom of the seventh inning in the Section 3 AAA game.
The ending marked the second consecutive game in as many days that BVA (8-12, 4-8) lost in the bottom of the seventh inning.
The ending culminated an impressive pitching battle between BVA's Lacey Washowich and EF's Portia McBride.
McBride limited BVA to one run on six hits with five strikeouts and no walks, while Washowich was a tough-luck loser, giving up two runs on just seven hits with four strikeouts and no walks.
Caitlyn Arico and Ashley Baker hit doubles for EF.
Deanna Hileman had two singles and Molly Gauden doubled for BVA.
Trinity 12, Ringgold 6
The Lady Rams (8-7, 5-7) bowed to the section champion Hillers (11-3, 11-1) as Trinity spotted Ringgold a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning before erupting for six runs in the home half of the frame.
Olivia Gray and Ashley Humphries both had three hits for Trinity while Brennah Martick doubled for one of the Lady Rams' four hits.
Serra 10, Monessen 5
The Lady Greyhounds (8-9, 6-8) battled hard with Serra (10-5, 9-5) before falling short.
Monessen trailed 10-2 before mounting a comeback with three runs in the sixth inning.
Shelby Minardi had four hits and Cara Grogan added three for Monessen. One of Grogan's hits was a double.
Serra got three hits from and three RBI from Amy McNeil.
Southmoreland 13, Yough 6
The Lady Cougars (7-9, 5-7) bowed in their Sction 3 AAA finale to Southmoreland (6-7, 6-6).
There was no other information available on the game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defense’s rapid decline looks similar to that of Steel Curtain’s
- Starkey: NHL stuck in stone age
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger comes to Haley defense again
- Pirates general manager Huntington is searching for right player, deal
- Pirates notebook: Polanco ruled out as Opening Day option
- Woodley says he’s fine with move to right side despite numbers
- Help on deck to help Jeannette deal with Monsour, nearby buildings
- Penguins’ Neal apologizes, vows to be better
- Likely $2.3B influx puts PennDOT big-ticket road projects in play
- Highmark health plan enrollment skyrockets from Healthcare.gov
- PNC plans to do away with tellers