Leader Times roundup: Renigk's homers fuel Freeport victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Alexis Renigk wrapped up Freeport's section play on a power trip.
Renigk hit three home runs and drove in four to set the pace for the Yellowjackets offense in a 12-6 win over Apollo-Ridge in the Section 3-AA finale for both teams Thursday afternoon.
Ashley Sample also homered for playoff-bound Freeport (10-6, 10-4), and winning pitcher Alyssa Meta finished with seven strikeouts.
Sammy Geracia homered for Apollo-Ridge (3-13, 3-11), which posted its six runs with only three hits in the game.
Ford City 19, West Shamokin 7 (5 inn.) — Winning pitcher Andrea Markilinski tripled and drove in four runs to help her cause in a five-inning, Section 3-AA win for Ford City (8-6, 8-6).
Bethany Meyer, Jenna Wolsonovich and Brooke Stitt all had three hits for the Sabers, who had six players with two or more RBI.
Jen Notto and Kelly Clowser each drove in two runs for West Shamokin (5-12, 5-9).
Leechburg 10, East Allegheny 0 (5 inn.) — Kenzie Young allowed two hits in five scoreless innings to send the Blue Devils (11-3) to a nonsection win at home over Class AA East Allegheny (2-12).
Miranda Reesman doubled and drove in three runs, Shelby Greece scored three times, and Young was 2 for 2 and drove in a pair of runs.
Deer Lakes 11, West Shamokin 1 (5 inn.) — Class AA No. 4 Deer Lakes (14-3, 11-0) clinched its third straight Section 3-AA championship with a five-inning win at West Shamokin.
Winning pitcher Todd Coleman allowed two hits, and Zach Hudecek and Ryan Pettrone doubled for Deer Lakes.
Zane Clowser doubled for West Shamokin (2-12, 1-9).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school football roundup: No. 13 Riverside upsets Beth-Center in 1st round
- Evaporating cap on Pa. gasoline taxes to offset drops at pump
- Highlands quarterback Thimons ‘wills’ his team to victory over New Brighton
- Mars rides Rinaman’s 6 TDs to win
- Electric cars plug into solar power
- Quarantine fears jeopardize volunteer work in Ebola-stricken West Africa
- Gorman: DiNucci perfect fit for Pine-Richland
- Apollo-Ridge stands tall in 58-40 victory over Beaver Falls
- Steelers defense takes aim at Ravens QB Flacco
- Suspect in trooper’s slaying Frein had ‘defeated’ look when found, U.S. marshal says
- Health insurers’ move towardd ‘high-value’ care providers may reduce choice