Leader Times roundup: Renigk's homers fuel Freeport victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Alexis Renigk wrapped up Freeport's section play on a power trip.
Renigk hit three home runs and drove in four to set the pace for the Yellowjackets offense in a 12-6 win over Apollo-Ridge in the Section 3-AA finale for both teams Thursday afternoon.
Ashley Sample also homered for playoff-bound Freeport (10-6, 10-4), and winning pitcher Alyssa Meta finished with seven strikeouts.
Sammy Geracia homered for Apollo-Ridge (3-13, 3-11), which posted its six runs with only three hits in the game.
Ford City 19, West Shamokin 7 (5 inn.) — Winning pitcher Andrea Markilinski tripled and drove in four runs to help her cause in a five-inning, Section 3-AA win for Ford City (8-6, 8-6).
Bethany Meyer, Jenna Wolsonovich and Brooke Stitt all had three hits for the Sabers, who had six players with two or more RBI.
Jen Notto and Kelly Clowser each drove in two runs for West Shamokin (5-12, 5-9).
Leechburg 10, East Allegheny 0 (5 inn.) — Kenzie Young allowed two hits in five scoreless innings to send the Blue Devils (11-3) to a nonsection win at home over Class AA East Allegheny (2-12).
Miranda Reesman doubled and drove in three runs, Shelby Greece scored three times, and Young was 2 for 2 and drove in a pair of runs.
Deer Lakes 11, West Shamokin 1 (5 inn.) — Class AA No. 4 Deer Lakes (14-3, 11-0) clinched its third straight Section 3-AA championship with a five-inning win at West Shamokin.
Winning pitcher Todd Coleman allowed two hits, and Zach Hudecek and Ryan Pettrone doubled for Deer Lakes.
Zane Clowser doubled for West Shamokin (2-12, 1-9).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Man involved with crash with officer dies in Pittsburgh hospital
- Giant Eagle Inc. appears to have settled ‘fuelperks!’ lawsuit