Leader Times roundup: Kittanning softball wins fourth straight
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kittanning softball's winning streak caught its southern neighbor in its path.
The Wildcats scored eight runs in the third inning to win its fourth straight game, 14-3, against Ford City in a six-inning nonsection game Friday afternoon.
Nicole Johnson homered and drove in four runs for Kittanning (8-6), and winning pitcher Courtney Edwards also finished with four RBI. Terra Schall drove in three runs, and Emily Kutch drove in two for the Wildcats, who had 17 hits.
Andrea Markilinski hit a double but took the loss in the circle for Ford City (8-7).
Valley 12, Kittanning 5 —Freshman relief pitcher Jordan Frame pitched six innings, allowed two hits and struck out six to lead Valley to a win in the Section 5-AAA finale for both teams.
Frame entered the game in the top of the second, where Kittanning posted a 4-0 lead. Parker Shearon finished with five RBI and two runs scored for Valley (3-11, 2-8).
Donovan Wichowski had a solo homer and a two-run single for Kittanning (3-12, 2-8), which finished tied for fourth in the section.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- WVU notebook: Holgorsen expects similar effort
- Pirates add six players to roster, including OF Polanco
- United Kingdom at risk, new poll finds
- Pittsburgh mayor says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Former Dormont businessman avoids jail for wire fraud
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds