Leader Times roundup: Kutch's 1-hitter leads Kittanning
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kittanning's Emily Kutch stepped into the circle and threw a gem against one of Class AA's top softball teams.
Nellie Toy's solo homer in the fourth was the only run of the game as Kutch threw a one-hitter to shut out Burrell on the road, 1-0, in a nonsection game Monday afternoon.
Terra Schall tripled, and Meg Toy doubled for Kittanning (9-7), which turned in an error-free performance behind Kutch.
Jalia Manga's single in the second inning was the only hit for Burrell (13-3).
Jeannette 10, Ford City 9 (8 inn.) — Two runs scored on an error in top of the eighth, and Ford City was able to get only one back in the bottom half on an RBI double by Andrea Markilinski in a nonsection loss.
Markilinski finished the game with four hits, including two doubles and a triple, for Ford City (8-7). Jenna Wolsonovich also had three hits, including a leadoff double in the bottom of the eighth.
Jeannette (13-3) pitcher Nicole Hall recorded the win after stranding Courtney Bishop, who entered to run for Markilinski, on third.
Riverview 16, West Shamokin 5 (5 inn.) — Winning pitcher Hannah Larkin and Taylor Killmeyer both drove in four runs, and Casey DeRiggi had a homer and five RBI to send Riverview (11-6) to a nonsection win on the road.
For the Wolves (5-13), Jen Notto had three hits and drove in two runs, Kelly Clowser had three hits and an RBI, Alicia Calhoun tripled, and Kelly Smith had a double and an RBI.
Deer Lakes 4, Freeport 3 — Deer Lakes managed only four hits off Freeport pitcher Ethan McCormick, but that was enough for the Lancers (15-3, 12-0) to finish a perfect run through Section 3-AA.
Ryley Cowan had a two-run double for playoff-bound Freeport (11-3, 9-3), and Matt Swartz had an RBI single in the bottom of the third that tied the game, 3-3. Robbie Miller also had three hits for the Yellowjackets.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- 2 injured in Strip District shooting
- ATI picketer injured at Harrison mill
- New Orleans slow to heal 10 years after Hurricane Katrina
- FDA’s revised serving sizes on nutrition labels might backfire as endorsement
- Cops nab 4 in Monessen drug hangout
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Man gets probation for sex with teen girl in New Kensington
- Independent bookshops find ways to keep going with new owners