Paskorz helps Hampton softball team get back to playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After missing the playoffs last season, Hampton senior center fielder Paige Paskorz was determined to get the team back to the postseason.
“It is really rewarding to do it with my friends,” Paskorz said. “It's a nice feeling.”
Extending the season was also important to Paskorz as when she walks off the field when her final high school game is over, she will call it a career on the diamond.
“I will be going to IUP and focus on studying graphic design,” Paskorz said.
Paskorz and the other seniors are focused on extending this season as long as possible, but to do that, Paskorz said they have to avoid the bad inning that has bothered this team from time to time.
“Normally we have a slump inning …” she said. “We can't have that in the playoffs. We have to hit and avoid the errors.”
Paskorz said coach Ron Fedell is a really encouraging person and coach, and his help motivates the players as he teaches the game.
As a senior Paskorz also has a leadership role to fill, but she takes a fun, somewhat lighter approach to things.
“I try not to be too strict and serious,” Paskorz said. “It's fun to joke around, but at the same time, you have to stay focused.
“When we have a bad inning, we all do what we can to pick people up. Bonding with my teammates is one of my favorite things to do.”
Paskorz said it will be hard to let softball go after nine years.
“My parents got me started, and my friends played,” Paskorz said. “I will miss that winning feeling and all of my teammates.”
Paskorz started off playing catcher but said she likes center field the best.
In the push to the playoffs this season, Paskorz used her bat to help the team score runs in the final, critical game against Highlands.
For Paskorz and her team, that win was like a playoff game — a loss wound have eliminated the Lady Talbots from playoff contention.
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pitt holds off Virginia Tech in ACC opener
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Would-be Troy Hill carjackers scared off by sirens
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- More employers adopt generous leave policies