Young Fox Chapel ends softball season with victory
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 9:10 p.m.
The Fox Chapel Area High School softball team romped to a 12-1 win over Allderdice on May 8 to close out their season and FC coach Tom Wamsley hopes that his young team uses the win as a springboard for more success next season.
Isabella Brungo picked up the win, allowing two hits.
Sam Olbrich led the offense with a double and a homer. Hanna Yeager and Jen Moran also went deep for the Foxes while Alanna Palumbo belted a triple.
The Foxes finished with a 3-15 overall record and went 1-11 in the section.
The Foxes entered the season minus two key players as standout catcher Elly Wagner graduated early to attend North Carolina and starting pitcher Kim Corcoran transferred.
“Losing those two hurt us this season,” FC coach Tom Wamsley said. “Elly was our biggest bat and Kim was slated to be our top pitcher. We put a young, inexperienced team on the field in a new section that was very strong. But I'm proud of the kids. They fought hard and got some good experience.”
The Foxes will lose one senior, shortstop Jen Moran, and Wamsley knows she will be missed.
“Jen had a great season and she'll do well in college,” Wamsley said. “Her leadership and experience will be missed.”
On a positive note, Wamsley will have junior Kaylee Pistorius back.
“She had a great year at the plate,” he said. “She ended up at .395 with a pair of homers.”
Also returning will be sophomore Megan Walkowski.
“She played at both first and third base for us and she didn't make an error all season. That's pretty impressive,” Wamsley said.
“We'll have everybody else back and we've got some talented young players at the middle school level. The future looks promising.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Uniontown softball team hangs tough to avenge loss to Mt. Pleasant
- Bases-loaded free passes prove big in Deer Lakes’ softball victory over Burrell
- Roundup: Monessen girls win fourth straight, 5-2
- Steel Valley’s Cotter lifts Ironmen to win
- Lady Leps score late in 6-4 win over Southmoreland
- Short-handed Frazier softball team falls to Carmichaels in key section matchup
- Connellsville blanks Latrobe, eyes being factor in playoff race
- Ringgold comes up short against TJ, 4-0
- Latrobe freshman Carr tosses 1-hitter as Wildcats down Norwin
- Monessen solves Tilghman, Charleroi
- Cornell, Montour softball teams benefit from Sto-Rox transfers