Oberdorf brings heat as Greensburg Salem advances to semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
On a hot afternoon, Jayne Oberdorf was bringing the heat.
Oberdorf pitched a four-hitter, and top-seeded Greensburg Salem pushed across single runs in the fifth and sixth innings to beat eighth-seeded Blackhawk, 2-0, on Monday at Plum, advancing the Golden Lions to the WPIAL Class AAA semifinals.
“I was just able to mix it up well through the whole game,” Oberdorf said. “The heat was feeling good out there.”
Oberdorf, a Marist recruit, struck out nine and survived two hit-batsmen and one walk.
“She had her stuff going today,” Greensburg Salem coach Jody Morgan said. “We're right where we want to be.”
Greensburg Salem took a 1-0 lead in the fifth when Karly Mellinger's sacrifice fly scored Lauren McLaughlin, a courtesy runner for Melissa Wagner, who singled to lead off the inning.
Wagner had moved to third on a double by Claire Oberdorf.
The Golden Lions added their second run in the sixth on Caitlin Stoner's single, scoring Jayne Oberdorf.
“This is a fun team,” Morgan said. “I've got some really good hitters.
Greensburg Salem doubled up Blackhawk in hits, 8-4, with senior catcher Taylor Meehan going 2 for 3.
Jayne Oberdorf huddled around her teammates in the aftermath and reflected on her high school career.
“It's awesome,” she said. “We've been thinking about getting to this point for a long time. We just want to keep it going.”
Greensburg Salem will play 12th-seeded West Allegheny (12-6) Wednesday at a site and time to be determined.
Dave Mackall is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man killed in SUV rollover on Parkway East
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Game Commission OKs deer culling in Mt. Lebanon
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- Veterans Administration settles another Legionnaire’s lawsuit
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Pittsburgh City Council clears path for lower Hill District development
- Man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- NTSB: Better oversight needed to prevent natural gas pipeline accidents
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers