Oberdorf brings heat as Greensburg Salem advances to semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
On a hot afternoon, Jayne Oberdorf was bringing the heat.
Oberdorf pitched a four-hitter, and top-seeded Greensburg Salem pushed across single runs in the fifth and sixth innings to beat eighth-seeded Blackhawk, 2-0, on Monday at Plum, advancing the Golden Lions to the WPIAL Class AAA semifinals.
“I was just able to mix it up well through the whole game,” Oberdorf said. “The heat was feeling good out there.”
Oberdorf, a Marist recruit, struck out nine and survived two hit-batsmen and one walk.
“She had her stuff going today,” Greensburg Salem coach Jody Morgan said. “We're right where we want to be.”
Greensburg Salem took a 1-0 lead in the fifth when Karly Mellinger's sacrifice fly scored Lauren McLaughlin, a courtesy runner for Melissa Wagner, who singled to lead off the inning.
Wagner had moved to third on a double by Claire Oberdorf.
The Golden Lions added their second run in the sixth on Caitlin Stoner's single, scoring Jayne Oberdorf.
“This is a fun team,” Morgan said. “I've got some really good hitters.
Greensburg Salem doubled up Blackhawk in hits, 8-4, with senior catcher Taylor Meehan going 2 for 3.
Jayne Oberdorf huddled around her teammates in the aftermath and reflected on her high school career.
“It's awesome,” she said. “We've been thinking about getting to this point for a long time. We just want to keep it going.”
Greensburg Salem will play 12th-seeded West Allegheny (12-6) Wednesday at a site and time to be determined.
Dave Mackall is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Breaking down the 2015 WPIAL softball championships
- Edwards leads Deer Lakes softball into WPIAL title game
- WPIAL Class AA softball championship capsule
- Penn-Trafford softball finishes season in WPIAL quarterfinals
- Moniteau defeats Karns City in District 9 softball championship game
- Deer Lakes outfield a ‘great mix’ of speed, arm strength
- Trinity derails Southmoreland softball’s dream of making state playoffs
- Seton-La Salle edges Steel Valley in extra innings to advance to PIAA tourney
- Bishop Canevin uses 3-run home run to top Frazier in consolation game
- High school roundup: Seton-La Salle top Steel Valley in 8th inning
- Moniteau stands between Karns City and D-9 softball title