Greensburg Salem hopes to finish off West Allegheny in semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
If Greensburg Salem softball coach Jody Morgan had her way, she would have preferred to finish Wednesday's WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game against West Allegheny.
As thunder roared above California (Pa.) University's Lilley Field, Morgan glanced up to the sky with disgust.
Top-seeded Greensburg Salem was leading No. 12 seed West Allegheny, 2-0, when lightning delayed the game in top of the fifth inning at 6:20 p.m.
By 7:15 p.m., a downpour of rain forced WPIAL officials to suspend the game until 2 p.m. Thursday, at California.
The storm also wiped out the Class AAAA semifinal between No. 1 Canon-McMillan (19-1) and No. 4 Hempfield (17-5), which will follow the conclusion of the Class AAA game at 4 p.m.
“We want to play,” Morgan said.
“We wanted to finish it. But I'm glad we're up at this point instead of being down.”
Greensburg Salem jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning when Taylor Mehan smacked a two-run double off the left-field fence. It came just inches shy of being a three-run home run.
The double scored Karly Mellinger, who bunted for a hit, and Kellie Hutchinson, who reached on a fielder's choice.
“It was important to get on top of this team, especially being the visitor,” Morgan said.
West Allegheny only had one hit off Greensburg Salem starter Jayne Oberdorf, a one-out double by opposing pitcher Brianna Lach. Oberdorf had five strikeouts and no walks in the first four innings.
Lach got out of a bases-loaded jam in the fourth inning when Mellinger's line drive was snagged by first baseman Brooke Bagnell.
“I'm not sure if this delay is good or bad,” West Allegheny coach Mindi McFate said. “We'll find out. You never know how girls will respond.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Southmoreland, Frazier softball teams eye chance at PIAA tournament
- Steel Valley softball gets 3rd try at Seton-La Salle
- Deer Lakes softball team seeking 2nd WPIAL championship in 4 years
- High school roundup: Big inning carries Yough to title game
- Heavy-hearted Jefferson-Morgan uses 5 home runs to top No. 2 Frazier
- Plum softball coach pleased with team’s progress
- A-K Valley softball playoff capsule: No. 1 Deer Lakes vs. No. 12 Steel Valley
- Hempfield offense, pitching deliver in WPIAL semifinal victory