Greensburg Salem hopes to finish off West Allegheny in semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
If Greensburg Salem softball coach Jody Morgan had her way, she would have preferred to finish Wednesday's WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game against West Allegheny.
As thunder roared above California (Pa.) University's Lilley Field, Morgan glanced up to the sky with disgust.
Top-seeded Greensburg Salem was leading No. 12 seed West Allegheny, 2-0, when lightning delayed the game in top of the fifth inning at 6:20 p.m.
By 7:15 p.m., a downpour of rain forced WPIAL officials to suspend the game until 2 p.m. Thursday, at California.
The storm also wiped out the Class AAAA semifinal between No. 1 Canon-McMillan (19-1) and No. 4 Hempfield (17-5), which will follow the conclusion of the Class AAA game at 4 p.m.
“We want to play,” Morgan said.
“We wanted to finish it. But I'm glad we're up at this point instead of being down.”
Greensburg Salem jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning when Taylor Mehan smacked a two-run double off the left-field fence. It came just inches shy of being a three-run home run.
The double scored Karly Mellinger, who bunted for a hit, and Kellie Hutchinson, who reached on a fielder's choice.
“It was important to get on top of this team, especially being the visitor,” Morgan said.
West Allegheny only had one hit off Greensburg Salem starter Jayne Oberdorf, a one-out double by opposing pitcher Brianna Lach. Oberdorf had five strikeouts and no walks in the first four innings.
Lach got out of a bases-loaded jam in the fourth inning when Mellinger's line drive was snagged by first baseman Brooke Bagnell.
“I'm not sure if this delay is good or bad,” West Allegheny coach Mindi McFate said. “We'll find out. You never know how girls will respond.”
Paul Schofield is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Schofield_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Karns City soccer teams advance
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- Leader Times Q&A: Redbank Valley’s Wyatt Hetrick
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Central Valley girls win 3rd straight PIAA golf title