Deer Lakes' state softball game postponed again
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes' PIAA softball playoff game against Philipsburg-Osceola was postponed for the second time because of inclement weather.
The game has been moved to 2 p.m. Saturday at Bedford High School, the original site of the Class AA quarterfinal.
Officials told Deer Lakes they could have gotten the field playable by Friday's initial 11:30 a.m. start time, but more rain was forecasted for Bedford. Deer Lakes had its graduation Friday night, so delays could have presented problems.
Deer Lakes (19-1), the WPIAL runner-up, is seeking its first trip to the state semifinals, set for Monday.
District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (22-1) has two state titles, the last in 2011.
“I'm feeling as good as I have all year,” Deer Lakes coach Craig Taliani said. “That's a good start time (for Saturday). There is nothing to complain about.”
Deer Lakes did not practice Friday, but plans to hit in its indoor batting cage Saturday morning before leaving for Bedford.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- On the border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- Pitt notebook: Panthers defense responds to questions with shutout
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job