Deer Lakes' state softball game postponed again
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes' PIAA softball playoff game against Philipsburg-Osceola was postponed for the second time because of inclement weather.
The game has been moved to 2 p.m. Saturday at Bedford High School, the original site of the Class AA quarterfinal.
Officials told Deer Lakes they could have gotten the field playable by Friday's initial 11:30 a.m. start time, but more rain was forecasted for Bedford. Deer Lakes had its graduation Friday night, so delays could have presented problems.
Deer Lakes (19-1), the WPIAL runner-up, is seeking its first trip to the state semifinals, set for Monday.
District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (22-1) has two state titles, the last in 2011.
“I'm feeling as good as I have all year,” Deer Lakes coach Craig Taliani said. “That's a good start time (for Saturday). There is nothing to complain about.”
Deer Lakes did not practice Friday, but plans to hit in its indoor batting cage Saturday morning before leaving for Bedford.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- SUV crashes into house in Sheraden
- Playoff experience pays off for Kittanning in preliminary round win over Elizabeth Forward
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Calgon Carbon poised for explosive growth
- High school roundup: Derry volleyball downs Brownsville in prelminary round
- House 58th District seat candidates focus on education, taxes
- CMU spinoff’s CEO gets council honors
- Justice blames feud for his ouster; chief of court admits he did seek to remove him
- Unity rally aims to counter negativity of KKK message in ’97