Deer Lakes' state softball game postponed again
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes' PIAA softball playoff game against Philipsburg-Osceola was postponed for the second time because of inclement weather.
The game has been moved to 2 p.m. Saturday at Bedford High School, the original site of the Class AA quarterfinal.
Officials told Deer Lakes they could have gotten the field playable by Friday's initial 11:30 a.m. start time, but more rain was forecasted for Bedford. Deer Lakes had its graduation Friday night, so delays could have presented problems.
Deer Lakes (19-1), the WPIAL runner-up, is seeking its first trip to the state semifinals, set for Monday.
District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (22-1) has two state titles, the last in 2011.
“I'm feeling as good as I have all year,” Deer Lakes coach Craig Taliani said. “That's a good start time (for Saturday). There is nothing to complain about.”
Deer Lakes did not practice Friday, but plans to hit in its indoor batting cage Saturday morning before leaving for Bedford.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Belle Vernon scores 4 runs in wild 7th inning to capture WPIAL title
- Ryan tosses 1-hitter as Hempfield wins 3rd WPIAL championship
- Class AA championship notebook: Deer Lakes’ 4th inning outburst sparks victory
- Gorman: Team Dugan gets gold, like a champ
- Jefferson-Morgan captures school’s 1st WPIAL softball title
- Taliani’s 3 homers propel Deer Lakes to 2nd WPIAL softball title in 4 seasons
- Greensburg Central Catholic softball made vast strides after 2-win season in 2014
- Breaking down the 2015 WPIAL softball championships
- WPIAL Class AA softball championship capsule
- Edwards leads Deer Lakes softball into WPIAL title game
- Late explosion carries Yough to finals