Deer Lakes' state softball game postponed again
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes' PIAA softball playoff game against Philipsburg-Osceola was postponed for the second time because of inclement weather.
The game has been moved to 2 p.m. Saturday at Bedford High School, the original site of the Class AA quarterfinal.
Officials told Deer Lakes they could have gotten the field playable by Friday's initial 11:30 a.m. start time, but more rain was forecasted for Bedford. Deer Lakes had its graduation Friday night, so delays could have presented problems.
Deer Lakes (19-1), the WPIAL runner-up, is seeking its first trip to the state semifinals, set for Monday.
District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (22-1) has two state titles, the last in 2011.
“I'm feeling as good as I have all year,” Deer Lakes coach Craig Taliani said. “That's a good start time (for Saturday). There is nothing to complain about.”
Deer Lakes did not practice Friday, but plans to hit in its indoor batting cage Saturday morning before leaving for Bedford.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hempfield’s Ryan named Greensburg Tribune-Review Softball Player of the Year
- Deer Lakes’ Edwards named Valley News Dispatch Softball Player of the Year
- Knoch’s Shinsky named Valley News Dispatch Baseball Player of the Year
- Trinity’s Gray named Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Softball Player of the Year
- Parshall, Mularski garner 1st Team all-state honors
- Trinity softball rallies to reach its 1st PIAA championship game
- Seton-La Salle softball program to miss Dadig, Zola
- Hempfield softball team could have pieces in place for return to PIAA playoffs
- Deer Lakes softball well-represented on coaches’ Class AA all-state team