Deer Lakes' state softball game postponed again
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Deer Lakes' PIAA softball playoff game against Philipsburg-Osceola was postponed for the second time because of inclement weather.
The game has been moved to 2 p.m. Saturday at Bedford High School, the original site of the Class AA quarterfinal.
Officials told Deer Lakes they could have gotten the field playable by Friday's initial 11:30 a.m. start time, but more rain was forecasted for Bedford. Deer Lakes had its graduation Friday night, so delays could have presented problems.
Deer Lakes (19-1), the WPIAL runner-up, is seeking its first trip to the state semifinals, set for Monday.
District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (22-1) has two state titles, the last in 2011.
“I'm feeling as good as I have all year,” Deer Lakes coach Craig Taliani said. “That's a good start time (for Saturday). There is nothing to complain about.”
Deer Lakes did not practice Friday, but plans to hit in its indoor batting cage Saturday morning before leaving for Bedford.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Georgia prosecutor Yates tapped for No. 2 post in Justice Department
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Steelers notebook: Gay respects ‘anything’ referees call
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Old-school booksellers learn to survive, thrive in digital age
- Steelers defensive game changer: Fourth-down stop thwarts Chiefs
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- Police: NYC cop killer invited people to watch shooting