PIAA quarterfinals roundup: Deer Lakes falls short to Philipsburg-Osceola
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At Bedford High School, District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (23-1) scored all of its runs in the first inning and downed WPIAL runner-up Deer Lakes, 3-1, in a PIAA Class AA quarterfinal game that was delayed two days by rain.
P-O advanced to face Riverside (21-0) in the semifinals Monday at a time and site to be determined.
Deer Lakes (19-2) scored in the third inning when senior shortstop Becca Babincak tripled and sophomore second baseman Katie Gozzard singled.
Ambridge 5, Greencastle-Antrim 3 — Hannah Smith smacked four hits and earned the victory as Ambridge won a PIAA Class AAA quarterfinal game at Bedford. The Bridgers (18-4) will play Fort LeBoeuf in the semifinals Monday at a time and site to be determined.
Neshannock 6, Claysburg-Kimmel 1 — Madison Shaffer earned the victory and Allie Fischer doubled, as WPIAL champion Neshannock (20-2) won a PIAA Class A quarterfinal game at Everett High School.
The Lancers will play Southern Huntingdon in the semifinals Monday at a time and site to be determined.
Southern Huntingdon 6, Carmichaels 2 — Erica Burns had three hits and struck out six, but WPIAL runner-up Carmichaels (22-4) lost in the PIAA Class A quarterfinals at Everett High School.
Beaver 1, Mount Union 0 — Ben Herstine singled in Austin Logan in the third inning as Beaver won a PIAA Class AA quarterfinal game at Somerset. WPIAL champion Beaver (19-3) will play Quaker Valley in a rematch of the WPIAL title game at noon Monday at Pullman Park in Butler.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Southbound McKnight Road closed for power line repairs
- Fallingwater among Wright buildings nominated for World Heritage List
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Iraqi libraries ransacked
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, poll finds
- Pa. Turnpike claims software fraud, wants $45M