PIAA quarterfinals roundup: Deer Lakes falls short to Philipsburg-Osceola
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At Bedford High School, District 6 champion Philipsburg-Osceola (23-1) scored all of its runs in the first inning and downed WPIAL runner-up Deer Lakes, 3-1, in a PIAA Class AA quarterfinal game that was delayed two days by rain.
P-O advanced to face Riverside (21-0) in the semifinals Monday at a time and site to be determined.
Deer Lakes (19-2) scored in the third inning when senior shortstop Becca Babincak tripled and sophomore second baseman Katie Gozzard singled.
Ambridge 5, Greencastle-Antrim 3 — Hannah Smith smacked four hits and earned the victory as Ambridge won a PIAA Class AAA quarterfinal game at Bedford. The Bridgers (18-4) will play Fort LeBoeuf in the semifinals Monday at a time and site to be determined.
Neshannock 6, Claysburg-Kimmel 1 — Madison Shaffer earned the victory and Allie Fischer doubled, as WPIAL champion Neshannock (20-2) won a PIAA Class A quarterfinal game at Everett High School.
The Lancers will play Southern Huntingdon in the semifinals Monday at a time and site to be determined.
Southern Huntingdon 6, Carmichaels 2 — Erica Burns had three hits and struck out six, but WPIAL runner-up Carmichaels (22-4) lost in the PIAA Class A quarterfinals at Everett High School.
Beaver 1, Mount Union 0 — Ben Herstine singled in Austin Logan in the third inning as Beaver won a PIAA Class AA quarterfinal game at Somerset. WPIAL champion Beaver (19-3) will play Quaker Valley in a rematch of the WPIAL title game at noon Monday at Pullman Park in Butler.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Penguins recall Maatta in time for season opener in Dallas
- Opening season away from home may be a good thing, Penguins say
- State closing Zelienople treatment facility after allegations of child sexual abuse
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Armstrong County Jail warden resigns
- Prudhomme, Louisiana chef who popularized Cajun food, dies at 75
- Death penalty withdrawn from prosecution of Beltzhoover man
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Former Pittsburgh mayoral candidate sentenced to prison for bogus 911 calls
- McCarthy withdraws candidacy for speaker