Plum slow-pitch softball sweeps WPISL doubleheader from Montour
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity slow-pitch softball team improved to 5-3 in the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Softball League with a doubleheader sweep of Montour on Sunday at Burkett Field in Robinson.
The Mustangs won game one, 13-12.
Plum jumped out to a 7-2 lead after two innings.
Montour scored three runs in the third and fourth innings to cut the advantage to 7-5.
The Mustangs led 12-6 heading into the bottom of the seventh, but Montour scored six times to tie the game and send it into extra innings.
In the top of the eighth, Lindsey Herd led off with a solo home run which turned out to be the game winner.
Offensively, Amanda Zimmerman was 3 for 4 with a double and a home run, while Rylee White had a double and a home run with three runs batted in.
Sierra McElhose was 2 for 4 with a home run, and Melissa Colchagie and Megan Bohatch each had two hits.
The second game was more a defensive battle, as neither team scored in the first three innings.
Plum scored three times in the fourth, tallied two runs in the fifth and led 5-1 after five.
The Mustangs increased their lead to 7-1 after six innings, and Montour tallied only one run in the top of the seventh to set the 7-2 final.
Contributors to the win were Zimmerman going 3 for 3 with two doubles and White with a home run and two runs batted in.
Colchagie was 3 for 3, and Katelin Rombach went 2 for 2.
The Plum JV (2-4) suffered a pair of losses to Montour — 11-10 and 5-3.
Montour led 11-2 after six innings before the Mustangs mounted a rally in the seventh.
Plum exploded for eight runs in the inning but fell one run short.
The offensive contributors included Savana Proden going 2 for 3 with a walk and four RBI.
Elizabeth Adamczyk and Madison Cubarney each went 2 for 4 with Cubarney knocking in two runs.
In the second game, both teams scored three runs in the first inning, but Montour scored once in both the second and third innings to set the 5-3 final.
Alexa Ferchaw led the offense, going 2 for 3 with a home run and two RBI, while Gianna Palmieri and Bryana Zanotelli each went 2 for 3.
The Plum varsity plays at Hampton in a doubleheader Sunday at noon at McCully Field in Alison Park.
The Mustangs JV squad hosts Hampton on Saturday at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. at Plum School.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Jamie’s Dream Team founder says she will press on despite new illness
- North Versailles Township approves $6.79 million budget that keeps tax rates flat
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- Nonprofit hospitals in Western Pa. feel pain in finances despite Affordable Care Act
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Trained teachers, staff to treat allergic students under Pennsylvania law
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Steelers notebook: Chiefs pass rush to test Steelers
- Pitt offensive coordinator Rudolph still focused on Panthers