Plum slow-pitch softball sweeps WPISL doubleheader from Montour
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity slow-pitch softball team improved to 5-3 in the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Softball League with a doubleheader sweep of Montour on Sunday at Burkett Field in Robinson.
The Mustangs won game one, 13-12.
Plum jumped out to a 7-2 lead after two innings.
Montour scored three runs in the third and fourth innings to cut the advantage to 7-5.
The Mustangs led 12-6 heading into the bottom of the seventh, but Montour scored six times to tie the game and send it into extra innings.
In the top of the eighth, Lindsey Herd led off with a solo home run which turned out to be the game winner.
Offensively, Amanda Zimmerman was 3 for 4 with a double and a home run, while Rylee White had a double and a home run with three runs batted in.
Sierra McElhose was 2 for 4 with a home run, and Melissa Colchagie and Megan Bohatch each had two hits.
The second game was more a defensive battle, as neither team scored in the first three innings.
Plum scored three times in the fourth, tallied two runs in the fifth and led 5-1 after five.
The Mustangs increased their lead to 7-1 after six innings, and Montour tallied only one run in the top of the seventh to set the 7-2 final.
Contributors to the win were Zimmerman going 3 for 3 with two doubles and White with a home run and two runs batted in.
Colchagie was 3 for 3, and Katelin Rombach went 2 for 2.
The Plum JV (2-4) suffered a pair of losses to Montour — 11-10 and 5-3.
Montour led 11-2 after six innings before the Mustangs mounted a rally in the seventh.
Plum exploded for eight runs in the inning but fell one run short.
The offensive contributors included Savana Proden going 2 for 3 with a walk and four RBI.
Elizabeth Adamczyk and Madison Cubarney each went 2 for 4 with Cubarney knocking in two runs.
In the second game, both teams scored three runs in the first inning, but Montour scored once in both the second and third innings to set the 5-3 final.
Alexa Ferchaw led the offense, going 2 for 3 with a home run and two RBI, while Gianna Palmieri and Bryana Zanotelli each went 2 for 3.
The Plum varsity plays at Hampton in a doubleheader Sunday at noon at McCully Field in Alison Park.
The Mustangs JV squad hosts Hampton on Saturday at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. at Plum School.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Pittsburgh mayor says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Pirates add six players to roster, including OF Polanco
- WVU notebook: Holgorsen expects similar effort
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- United Kingdom at risk, new poll finds
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Former Dormont businessman avoids jail for wire fraud
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense