BVA girls shut out Yough
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Belle Vernon Area shut out Yough, 2-0, in a battle of playoff teams in girls' soccer Thursday.
Even though it was a non-section contest, it is a game the WPIAL soccer playoff steering committee may notice.
BVA (12-2-1) beat Section 1 AA champion Yough (13-4) as Kelsy Lawson and Hayden Pascoe scored goals.
“This was a very good game and they are well coached,” BVA coach Paul Sasko said of Yough. “They are a really good team and this was our third tough match in four days. I am pleased with this win.”
Lawson scored to give BVA a 1-0 halftime lead and Pascoe gave BVA an insurance goal in the second half. Ashly Gagliardi made five saves to earn the shutout for the Lady Leps.
BVA returns to action Saturday night, heading to South Park in a battle for first place in Section 4 AA. Yough is at Section 2 A champion South Allegheny for an exhibition match Monday.
Bethel Park 6, Ringgold 0
The Lady Rams (4-9, 4-7) bowed in the Section 4 AAA match to playoff-bound Bethel Park (13-2-1, 9-1-1) at Joe Montana Stadium.
Ringgold is at Charleroi Saturday in an exhibition match.
Mt. Pleasant 5, Charleroi 0
The Lady Cougars (11-2-1) dropped an exhibition match to the AAA playoff-bound Lady Vikings.
Charleroi closes its regular season Saturday with an exhibition match at home against Ringgold.
Bentworth 3, McGuffey 2
The Lady Bearcats (8-7) picked up an exhibition win and are off until Wednesday, when they head to Ringgold for an exhibition match.
Greensburg Salem 7, Monessen 0
The Lady Hounds (0-15) dropped an exhibition match to AAA Lady Lions.
Monessen is at East Allegheny Saturday in an exhibition match.
Mt. Pleasant 5, Charleroi 0
The Lady Cougars (11-2-1) were shut out in the non-section game. The loss snapped a three-game win streak.
BoysMonessen 1, Geibel 0
The Greyhounds (12-4, 9-3) wrapped up second place in Section 4 A in a battle of playoff teams. Josh Kucmeroski scored the game's only goal for the Greyhounds against the Gators ((9-6-2, 7-3-2).
Monessen defeated Geibel twice in three days and could have shared the section title had Bentworth upset Beth-Center.
However, B-C (12-3, 10-2) won the section with an 8-1 win over the Bearcats.
Monessen closes its regular season Monday with an exhibition match at Gateway.
BV Area 2, EF 0
The Leps (7-10, 6-6) closed their season with a Section 3 AA win over the Warriors (1-14-1, 1-10-1).
Dylan Pietrantoni and Tyler Chisti scored goals for BVA, with Chisti's insurance tally coming with six minutes left in the game.
“It was a close, well-played game on both sides,” said BVA coach John Kerekes. “I thought the two teams played really hard. I was pleased to get the win.”
Southmoreland 5, Charleroi 0
The Cougars (6-10, 4-8) closed their season with a Section 6 AA loss to the Scotties.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: No discipline for Capitals’ Wilson
- Ruling favors Vikings’ Peterson, sets up reinstatement
- Shoulder injury sidelines top-seeded 126-pounder at WPIAL wrestling tournament
- Pennsylvania House passes liquor system privatization bill
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Rossi: Winnik nice, but not enough for Penguins
- Bettman `intrigued’ by possible outdoor game at Beaver Stadium
- Woman charged for holding teen drinking party after video found at Penn-Trafford
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Federal grand jury indicts chief operations manager for Pittsburgh office of Horizons Hospice
- Ukrainian sides pull heavy weapons from front in 11th-hour effort to comply with Minsk agreement