Plum slow-pitch squad set for playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity girls slow-pitch softball team joined the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Softball League last fall, and the Mustangs have qualified for the playoffs for the second time in as many seasons.
Plum, 10-4 overall, is the sixth seed in the 15-team varsity playoffs, and will open the tournament Saturday at 10 a.m. against Peters Township at Blueberry Park in Franklin Park.
If the Mustangs get past Peters Township, they will play in the quarterfinals at 2 p.m.
The semifinals are Sunday at 2 p.m., with the championship game at 4:30.
Plum split a two-game series with Peters Township during the regular season.
Mt. Pleasant, with a regular-season record of 12-2, is the top seed.
West Allegheny (12-2) is the No. 2 seed, followed by Bethel Park (12-2), Montour (11-3) and Ft. Cherry (10-4).
JV ends season
The Plum JV team concluded its season at 8-6 overall with a split of a doubleheader against North Allegheny Gold.
The Mustangs won game one, 19-12, and pulled away with five two-out runs in the top of the seventh.
Plum rallied from an early 9-3 deficit.
Shannon Soboslay led the Mustangs offense with a three-run home run, a double and seven runs batted in.
Savana Proden went 4 for 5, Marissa Wilson was 3 for 4 with a double and three RBI, and Alexa Ferchaw added three RBI.
The second game was all North Allegheny, which shut out Plum, 14-0, in five innings.
The loss snapped a four-game winning streak.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412- 388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Spring really sprung for Mid-Mon Valley sports teams
- Hempfield offense, pitching deliver in WPIAL semifinal victory
- Deer Lakes’ own field of dreams — North Allegheny
- Trib Cup: Monessen softball had year of firsts
- BVA rallies to earn spot in title game
- Top-seeded Belle Vernon rallies for walk-off win over Southmoreland
- Heavy-hearted Jefferson-Morgan uses 5 home runs to top No. 2 Frazier
- Deer Lakes senior Gozzard delivers when it counts
- Deer Lakes softball reaches WPIAL Class AA title game after routing Steel Valley, 10-0
- High school roundup: Big inning carries Yough to title game
- Zola dominant on mound for Seton-La Salle softball team