Lady Hounds nip California, 11-10
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Monessen Lady Greyhounds opened play in Section 2-A in exciting fashion, holding on for a 11-10 win over host California Area.
Alexa Vatakis hit an RBI double in the top of the seventh inning to give Monessen (1-1, 1-0) an 11-9 lead.
In the bottom of the seventh, Frazier scored a run on an error and had the potential tying run gunned down at second base on the play to end the game.
“It was a nail-biter, but we will take it,” Monessen coach Bo Teets said. “It's nice to open the section with a win.
The Lady Greyhounds pounded out seven hits with Taylor Guzzie stroking a triple and Cara Grogan, Ondrea Burroughs and Vatakis getting doubles.
Grogan and Burroughs each doubled a four-run first inning.
Monessen trailed 9-5 in the sixth inning when the Lady Greyhounds scored five runs with the key hit being a two-run single by Hannah Leach.
California had four hits with Kelsea Lincoski getting two singles.
In the bottom of the seventh with two outs, Lincoski reached on an error with a run scoring and when she tried to reach second, she was gunned down by Monessen right fielder Janae Evans to end the game.
Guzzie picked up the win in relief for Monessen, which plays Frazier Wednesday.
Frazier 15, Mapletown 0
Paige Hotz fired a four-inning no-hitter to lead the Frazier girls softball team to a 15-0 Section 2-A victory over visiting Mapletown.
Hotz struck out five and gave up three walks.
Caitlyn Brown connected for three singles and Monica Joseph smacked a double for Frazier (1-0) while Alena Blaszczak and Hotz each had two singles.
Lauren Adams took the loss for the Maples.
Elizabeth Forward 6, St. Viator, Ill., 5
EF won the non-section game at Disney World in Orlando, Fla., as McKenna Kern had three hits and Jessica Cartia added a double.
Baseball Frazier 11, Charleroi Area 4
The Commodores opened the season with the non-section win as Travis Sanner had two doubles and a single.
Sanner doubled home two runs and Dylan Celaschi added a run-scoring double in a six-run fourth inning that turned a 3-2 deficit into an 8-3 lead.
Hunter Patterson picked up the win on the mound for Frazier (1-0).
Matt DeMoss had a double for Charleroi (1-1), which had six hits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- AG Kane’s spokesman leaving after 2 months on the job
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- Seton-La Salle girls defeat rival Bishop Canevin to capture 7th WPIAL title
- Highmark lays off nearly 100 workers, mostly in IT, as membership declines
- Why would GOP candidate for Missouri governor Schweich kill himself?
- Podiatrist, 6 others charged in prescription painkiller scheme
- Obama pitches privacy bill, Democrats say
- Two charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- Rep. Schock of Illinois shoulders $40K cost of office renovation