Jeannette softball dominating early
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette softball set a goal of winning Section 3A in 2014 — and, four games into the section schedule, the Lady Jayhawks are a third of the way to accomplishing just that.
Wins last week over section foes Springdale and Vincentian Academy put Jeannette at 4-0 in the section and in first place entering this week's games.
“It's good to win the section matchups,” said Jeannette head coach Zac Karas. “We are not thinking anything short of winning the section this year.”
Jeannette is not winning these games by small margins, either, having outscored opponents a combined 47-7, the Lady Jayhawks are dominating.
Last week's action opened with a non-section loss to Serra Catholic, which may have shown Karas as much about his team as any of their wins so far in 2014.
“We had the lead on them the whole game and gave it up at the end,” said Karas. “That game showed us that we can hang with any team in single A.”
Jeannette rebounded from that loss last Wednesday by beating Springdale 16-1. Sophomore Mary Katherine Paulone tossed the one-hit complete game striking out nine in four innings. Every Jeannette starter had a hit and scored a run in the win.
Jeannette went on the road last Thursday to face Vincentian Academy. Senior Nicole Hall got the start and dominated throwing a two-hit shutout.
Once again, every Jeannette starter had at least one hit. Senior Brianna Crawford homered twice in the win and freshman Scarlett Stein also homered.
“Brianna struck out in her first two at bats,” said Karas. “It was great to see her bounce back like that and hit the home runs.”
Jeannette hosts section foe St. Joseph tonight and travels to East Allegheny tomorrow for a non-section matchup with the Wildcats.
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Shootouts becoming a concern
- Protesters demonstrate against Mt. Lebanon deer culling program
- Tyler’s 20th, ‘A Spool of Blue Thread,’ is a miracle of sorts
- Dark satire ‘Welcome to Braggsville’ targets race, gender
- Allderdice boys advance to PIAA tournament
- Huge, ancient quasar could alter theories on black holes
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pittsburgh man dies in Greene County accident
- Rostraver police investigating alleged sexual misconduct between Ringgold HS employee, student
- Men become focus of stores’ personal service efforts