Daily News roundup: West Mifflin softball comes through in 14th inning
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Shannon Davis drove in Crystal Cook for the game-winning run in the 14th inning, with the international tiebreaker rule in effect, to help lead Class AAA No. 3 West Mifflin to an 8-7 win over Thomas Jefferson (7-3, 3-3) in Section 3-AAA action Thursday afternoon.
Paige Flore pitched a complete game for West Mifflin (9-2, 4-2), striking out 16 and walking two. Amber Cook had three hits and two RBIs.
Penn-Trafford 12, Norwin 2 — Shortstop Ashley Yanniruberto hit a grand slam in the third inning to give Penn-Trafford (6-2, 4-2) a 7-0 lead it didn't relinquish in a Section 1-AAAA victory. Maddy Wensel and Christiana Skrabak homered for Norwin (5-1, 4-1).
Woodland Hills 11, Penn Hills 1 — In Section 2-AAAA, Woodland Hills scored 10 runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to secure a victory. Kelsey Geyer had two hits and two RBIs, and Kirsten Terry struck out three for Woodland Hills (1-3, 1-2).
Steel Valley 7, Brentwood 4 — Maddie Cotter struck out 15 and walked two while pitching a complete game for Steel Valley (4-1, 4-0) in Section 4-AA action. Chelsea Rohan went 2 for 4 with a double, home run and two RBIs for Steel Valley. Sydney Bauer went 3 for 3 with two RBIs for Brentwood (3-3, 2-2).
Serra 19, Monessen 2 — Serra started strong out of the gate with a 10-run first inning that included three hits and nine errors in a Section 2-A win over Monessen (1-6, 1-5). Witney Larko led Serra (4-3, 3-3) with three hits, including two triples and a double. Cara Grogan led Monessen with three hits, including a triple.
Southmoreland 13,Yough 8 — Cassidy Pearce led Yough (2-5, 1-5) with three hits, including a double, but it wasn't enough as Southmoreland (5-1, 5-0) won a Section 3-AAA game. Adeline Nicholson and Briana Bunner drove in three runs each for Southmoreland.
Norwin 17, Albert Gallatin 5 — J.J. Matijevic had three hits, including a home run and double, as well as six RBIs, and Cody Stanoszek homered twice, as Norwin (5-1, 2-1) won in Section 2-AAAA.
Thomas Jefferson 8, Ringgold 2 — Nicco Marcheleta went seven innings, allowing two runs while striking out nine to lead Thomas Jefferson (3-3, 2-1) to a Section 4-AAA win over Ringgold (2-2, 0-2). Joe McHugh led Thomas Jefferson offensively with a double.
Clairton 9, Geibel 6 — In Section 2-A, Harrison Dreher was 4 for 4 and struck out six in four innings to carry Clairton to victory. Walter Britton and Zach Loera added two hits each for the Bears (1-2, 1-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers trade punter Wing to Giants for pick
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno dies, hospital says
- With most starters resting, Steelers turn in lackluster loss at Heinz
- Experts warn Kane’s Haiti trip might jeopardize any case from 2014 wiretap
- Steelers laud decision, praise Brady for taking on Goodell
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Heyl: Dancing Dems illustrate path to expression for presidential hopefuls
- West Jefferson Hills schools close because of gun threat
- McKeesport police investigating overnight shooting
- Steelers notebook: Thomas, Moats only starting defensive players to see action vs. Panthers
- Pittsburgh native Dillard recipient of National Humanities Medal