Jeannette softball remain undefeated in section play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The trap games.
What every coach fears.
The games a team should win but somehow lose. The games a team should dominate but, somehow, do not.
What every coach fears, including Jeannette softball head coach Zac Karas.
“You definitely want to win the games you know you should win,” said Karas. “If you want to get to where you want to go, you can't miss those opportunities.”
Jeannette had two such opportunities last week when the Lady Jayhawks, entering play last week undefeated in Section 3A, with games against section bottom-feeders St. Joseph and The Ellis School.
The Lady Jayhawks did not choke. A two-game scoring margin of 38-1 is indicative of how serious this team is about steamrolling through their section schedule undefeated.
“We have lofty goals,” said Karas. “And one of those goals is to go undefeated in the section. We know it will not be easy, but we are focused on that goal.”
Jeannette is halfway there at 6-0 in Section 3A entering this week's games thanks, in part, to last Wednesday's 22-0 win over The Ellis School and last Thursday's 16-1 win over St. Joseph.
Nicole Hall pitched complete games in both wins, tossing a perfect game in four innings over The Ellis School and scattering five hits and one unearned-run while striking out nine in the St. Joseph win.
“Nicole has been great all season,” said Karas. “She is hitting all of her spots and is really dominating opponents.”
Jeannette hit four home runs in the win over The Ellis School, one each by Hall, Brittany Crawford, Sarah Pitzer and Monique Redman, who told Karas it was her first home run at any level of softball.
Freshman Scarlett Stein cracked three hits in both games and Mary Katherine Paulone homered in the St. Joseph win.
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Spring really sprung for area sports teams
- BVA rallies to earn spot in title game
- One hit is enough for BV Area in 1-0 win
- Hempfield offense, pitching deliver in WPIAL semifinal victory
- Yough, Frazier advance to semifinals in softball
- Trib Cup: Monessen softball had year of firsts
- Late explosion carries Yough to finals
- Top-seeded Belle Vernon rallies for walk-off win over Southmoreland
- Deer Lakes’ own field of dreams — North Allegheny
- Deer Lakes softball reaches WPIAL Class AA title game after routing Steel Valley, 10-0
- High school roundup: Big inning carries Yough to title game