Charleroi softball to face McGuffey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Charleroi softball team has not participated in the WPIAL playoffs in quite some time.
And when the Lady Cougars make their debut in the Class AA tournament next week, they won't have to travel very far.
Charleroi (11-3), champions of Section 4 AA, will take on McGuffey (13-3), runners-up in Section 2 AA, in a first round game at California University's Lilley Field at 4 p.m. Tuesday.
The winner will play the winner of the contest between No. 2 seed Deer Lakes (14-0) and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (9-5) .
The Lady Cougars prepped for the playoffs by knocking off section foe Greensburg Central Catholic, 10-3, Thursday.
Anjie Tilghman had four hits and Morgan Riley and Adrienna Gottheld each had two singles and a triple.
Jen Tilghman scattered six hits to pick up the win on the mound.
The top seed in Class AA is Section 5 AA champ Beaver (13-0).
In Class AAA, Elizabeth Forward (12-6) will face Highlands (7-3) in a first-rounder at Hempfield 2 p.m. Thursday.
EF finished second in Section 3 AAA while Highlands was second in Section 5 AAA.
The top seed in AAA is Greensburg Salem (13-1), the champs out of Section 4 AAA.
EF will go into the playoffs on a high note after rolling over Baldwin, 14-3, in a non-section game Thursday.
Caitlyn Arico had four hits, Courtney Hrabosky had two doubles and Jessica Cartia had a home run and four RBI for EF.
In Class A, Frazier (10-5) plays Burgettstown (14-4) 4 p.m. Thursday at Fairhaven Park.
Burgettstown is the champion of Section 1 A, while Frazier finished third in Section 2 A.
The top seed in Class A is Section 4 A champ Neshannock (13-2).
The WPIAL is expected to release the baseball playoff brackets today or Saturday.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Matz keeps ball moving for Seneca Valley softball team
- Frederick’s homers lead Belle Vernon softball over Elizabeth Forward
- South Fayette softball ready to change fortunes in section play
- Penn-Trafford softball scores 11 runs in a row, pounds Mt. Pleasant
- Plum rebounds with key section win
- Trib Cup: South Side Beaver softball sets sights on section title
- Southmoreland softball team takes step back after loss to Yough
- Southmoreland’s Troisi-Clark proving she belongs on pitcher’s mound
- Resilient Kittanning softball steals one from Ford City