Jeannette softball ready for postseason run
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Regular season success gives a team one thing in high school sports — opportunities.
The Jeannette Lady Jayhawks have opportunities thanks to an 11-1 run and Section 3 A title.
An opportunity to prove themselves as one of the top teams in single A, an opportunity to compete for a WPIAL title and an opportunity to get the Jeannette softball program to the next level, a level occupied by programs that are established winners — year in, year out.
Jeannette's first opportunity comes today at 4 p.m. at Hampton High School when Jeannette faces Bishop Canevin (8-4, 8-4), the third-place team out of Section 1 A.
Jeannette will not be well known to Bishop Canevin, and the same holds true for Jeannette head coach Zac Karas of his first-round opponent.
“You try to find out as much as you can by reading about them and trying to talk to anyone who may have played them, but it will be kind of an unknown,” said Karas.
Jeannette, (11-1, 11-4) earned the six-seed in the playoff slotting. Bishop Canevin is seeded 11th.
The Lady Jayhawks will start senior Nicole Hall and ride her strong arm as far as it will take them in the playoffs.
Hall's final performance of the regular season came last Wednesday in Jeannette's last regular season game and only section loss of the season, a 5-3, extra innings loss at the hands of Vincentian Academy.
Jeannette trailed 1-0 going into the bottom of the seventh inning thanks in large part to Hall's efforts.
The Lady Jayhawks scratched out a run to tie Vincentian Academy, did the same in the ninth when Vincentian built a 3-1 lead, but were unable to overcome a 5-3 deficit in the 11th and dropped the finale.
“I told the girls that I am happy that the loss happened in the regular season when we can learn from it,” said Karas.
“They were really disappointed because they wanted the perfect section record, but they are all looking at it as a learning experience for the playoffs.”
There will be more opportunities for Jeannette softball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 1 dead, 2 hurt in Pennsylvania hospital shooting
- Man snatches purse behind mall
- DA must approve some arrests based on eyewitness identification
- Truck crashes into Dairy Queen, five injured in Penn Hills
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Woman accused of stabbing boyfriend in back
- Allegheny County public works director leaves job
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Findlay company owed another $27M, judge decides
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette