Softball players earn all-state honors
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Valley News Dispatch Softball Player of the Year Jordan Seneca of Plum and first-team all-star pitcher Tiffany Edwards of Deer Lakes were honored with all-state accolades Tuesday.
The Pennsylvania Softball Coaches Association made both players first-team selections, Seneca in Class AAAA and Edwards in Class AA.
Seneca, a St. Francis (Pa.) recruit who graduated last month, had a strong senior season, batting .710 with 10 home runs, 38 RBIs, 41 runs scored and a slugging percentage of 1.452.
With Seneca clearing the bases, Plum won its first section title since 2009 and posted the first playoff win in school history.
Edwards, an incoming senior and Deer Lakes' ace the last two years, helped the Lancers reach the WPIAL semifinals for the fourth straight time and the WPIAL title game and PIAA playoffs a third time in a row. She finished 17-2 with a 1.87 ERA an 120 strikeouts while pushing her career record to 43-4.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BillBeckner.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Closer seats don’t sit well with some fliers
- MLB notebook: Tigers’ Verlander skirts issue of nude photos
- Express E-ZPass lanes to close briefly at Route 43 on turnpike
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Pittsburgh Public Schools students with toy guns on bus face disciplinary action
- Pittsburgh mayor says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Manufacturing cranks up production pace
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart