Fox Chapel knocks off SSA in swimming
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Neighboring rivals Fox Chapel and Shady Side Academy met in a non-section swimming match on Dec. 11.
Coach Todd Clark's FC team picked up a victory on both the boys and girls side. The boys won, 90-75, while the girls picked up a 95-74 win.
For the Fox Chapel boys, the 200 medley relay team of Zihan Su, Scott Sterrett, Dante Cordaro and Noah Cagley took first along with the 400 free relay team of Cagley, Sterrett, Su and Ryan Foster.
Individual winners for FC were Su in the 200 intermediate and 100 backstroke, Sterrett in the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke, Cagley in the 100 freestyle and Foster in the 500 freestyle.
SSA's 200 free relay team of Thad Ellis, Andrew Lehman, Brendan Leech and Ryan Koul picked up a win and Leech also won the 200 freestyle.
For the girls, Sia Beasley swam to victory in the 200 freestyle and the 100 butterfly while Anna Mucci won the 200 intermediate and the 100 backstroke.
Amanda Todd won the 50 freestyle and Frances Dean picked up a win in the 100 freestyle.
SSA's Caroline Colville won the 500 freestyle and Lindsey Miller won the 100 breaststroke.
The Indians 200 free relay team of Emily Jaffe, Ali Sarner, Karen Shi and Maggie Leech finished first as did the 400 free relay team of Sarner, Leech, Jaffe and Colville.
Coach John Landreth's SSA team fell to South Fayette on Dec. 13. The boys lost by a score of 95-82 and the girls fell by 94-81.
Ellis picked up wins in the 50 and 100 freestyle events and Leech won the 100 backstroke. The 200 free relay team of Leech, Lehman, Ellis and Koul won as did the 400 free relay team of Lehman, Koul, Leech and Jason Weis.
For the girls, Sarner won the 100 backstroke and Leech finished first in the 100 breaststroke. Jaffe, Shi, Colville and Leech teamed up to win the 200 free relay while Colville, Sarner, Shi and Jenna Wallace won the 400 free relay.
“It's been a bit of a slow start for us,” Landreth said. “But we're confident we'll pick things up in the new year.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Panthers fall to Hawaii in game they were expected to win
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Emergency personnel battle fire at Whitehall apartment complex
- Crowds pack Downtown Pittsburgh to enjoy Light Up Night festivities
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- For 1 night on stage, embattled Cosby his old self