Leech shines in pool; earns four first-place finishes in meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Brendan Leech, a sophomore, has been a member of the Shady Side Academy swimming team for two years.
He is also a goalie on the soccer team at SSA.
But it is swimming that he hopes to continue when he moves on to college. And last week, Leech showed he can be dominant in the sport as he earned four first-place finishes in a meet against Freeport.
So far, he has qualified for five events in the WPIAL championships and he believes that the Indians will be strong in the post-season again.
“We've stepped it up recently and I think we have a chance to do very well in the WPIAL and PIAA championships,” he said.
Here's a closer look at Leech:
Q: Who have been your role models in life and in sports?
A: My family. My brother and sister were captains of the swim team and they've helped me a lot. My parents and coaches have also been a big influence for me.
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Swimming, soccer, skiing and hanging out with my friends and family.
Q: If you weren't a swimmer, what sport would you be playing?
A: Probably tennis. I used to play a lot.
Q: If you could have dinner with any one person, who would it be?
A: Michael Phelps. I think he would be interesting.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “Star Wars.”
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “The Moonshiners.”
Q: If the Super Bowl became a pay-for-view event, would you pay to watch it?
A: Definitely, if the Steelers were in it.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: Roberto Clemente.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Mila Kunis.
Q: What's your favorite fast food joint?
A: Chipotle or Chick Fill-A.
Q: What would make up your all-time favorite meal?
A: Pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and ice cream.
Q: Who's the most overrated athlete out there today?
Q: What's the wildest, craziest thing you've ever done?
A: I was skiing in Colorado and went off a 15-foot drop. It was a thrill and I'd do it again.
Q: People would be surprised to know that I…
A: ... Went to the Waterworks in my pajamas once. I was too tired after practice to change. I did get some stares.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ferrante cyanide trial resumes with ER doctor testifying
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Nationwide drug ring was centered in Homewood, prosecutor says
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- LaBar: A memo to WWE critics
- Primanti Bros. to mail sandwiches nationwide
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Missing Southwest Greensburg man found dead at crash site in Bell
- Park service reports ‘significant losses’ of Flight 93 memorial collection in Oct. 3 fire