Shady Side Academy swim team splits two meets
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy swim team split a pair of meets last week.
On Feb. 5, the boys lost to Plum, 97-71, while the girls fell, 86-82.
The Indians rebounded on Feb. 7 to sweep Mars in a section meet and remain undefeated in the section.
The boys picked up a 91-72 win while the girls were 85-71 victors.
“Two meets — one good, one not as much,” SSA coach John Landreth said. “(It was a) snooze fest against Plum on Tuesday.
“They are a AAA team that did not elicit much emotion on our side.”
On the other hand, Landreth said the Mars meet was a huge one for his athletes.
“They have a very good squad, but we had a dramatic change in emotion and motivation,” Landreth said
“Many, many lifetime- best swims occurred.”
Boys winners against Plum were: Brendan Leech (200 yard IM, 100 backstroke), Ryan Koul (50 free), Thad Ellis (100 free) and Ellis, Andrew Lehman Leech and Koul in the 200 and 400 free relay.s
Girls winners were: Destin Groff (200 free), Caroline Colville (100 back) and Karen Shi, Ali Sarner, Emily Jaffe and Groff in the 400 free relay.
At the Mars meet, boys winners were: Leech (200 free, 100 back), Ellis (50 free, 100 free) and Ellis, Leech, Frank Benckart and Koul in the 200 free relay.
Girls winners were: Jaffe (50 free, 100 butterfly), Colville (200 free), Groff (200 IM) and Sarner (100 backstroke).
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Norwin swimming returning talent, building depth
- North Allegheny girls swim team seeking 7th straight title
- Penn-Trafford girls 200 free relay team hungry for more success
- Dryland training boosts Franklin Regional swimmers’ performances
- Canevin swimmers looking for success
- Thomas Jefferson swim team energized by sweeps at Canon-McMillan
- Freeport’s Otwell, Knoch’s Zukowski ready for another duel in the pool