Shady Side Academy swim team splits two meets
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy swim team split a pair of meets last week.
On Feb. 5, the boys lost to Plum, 97-71, while the girls fell, 86-82.
The Indians rebounded on Feb. 7 to sweep Mars in a section meet and remain undefeated in the section.
The boys picked up a 91-72 win while the girls were 85-71 victors.
“Two meets — one good, one not as much,” SSA coach John Landreth said. “(It was a) snooze fest against Plum on Tuesday.
“They are a AAA team that did not elicit much emotion on our side.”
On the other hand, Landreth said the Mars meet was a huge one for his athletes.
“They have a very good squad, but we had a dramatic change in emotion and motivation,” Landreth said
“Many, many lifetime- best swims occurred.”
Boys winners against Plum were: Brendan Leech (200 yard IM, 100 backstroke), Ryan Koul (50 free), Thad Ellis (100 free) and Ellis, Andrew Lehman Leech and Koul in the 200 and 400 free relay.s
Girls winners were: Destin Groff (200 free), Caroline Colville (100 back) and Karen Shi, Ali Sarner, Emily Jaffe and Groff in the 400 free relay.
At the Mars meet, boys winners were: Leech (200 free, 100 back), Ellis (50 free, 100 free) and Ellis, Leech, Frank Benckart and Koul in the 200 free relay.
Girls winners were: Jaffe (50 free, 100 butterfly), Colville (200 free), Groff (200 IM) and Sarner (100 backstroke).
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Orie denied bid to appeal conviction on corruption charges
- Accused Franklin Regional stabber allowed 1-hour furlough to pay respects to grandmother
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs
- So Many Questions: ‘Breaking Bad’ actor R.J. Mitte sees the need to balance good, evil
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Susquehanna Co. man admits illegal exports to Syria
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Steelers notebook: RT Gilbert not in danger of losing his job