Ligonier swimmers beat Bishop McCort
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier Valley High School swim team recognized its seniors Feb. 6 at a home meet against Bishop McCort. The Ligonier Rams boys and girls team captured a win in the final dual meet of the season with a score, boys 67-59 and girls 104-60.
The swimmers who tagged first were the 200 medley-relay team consisting of Michaela Long, Shelbi Shearer, Becky Heitzer and Madison Lillicoth. Long also posted a first in the 100 backstroke and as part of the 400 free relay. The other 400 relay squad-members were Katie DeMayo, Heitzer and Allison Fox. DeMayo also finished first in the 200 freestyle and as a 200 free relay swimmer. Skylar Piper, Fox and Shearer completed the 200 relay team. Shearer also posted a first in the 200-IM and 500 free with teammates Fox and Piper capturing first in the 100 butterfly and 100 breaststroke consecutively. First place for the boys went to Sam Maust in the 200 and 500 free with teammates Matt Ryan and Phillip Cornell earning a first in the 50 free and 100 back successively.
Second place went to Fox in the 200 free and Long with a personal-best swim time in the 50 free. DeMayo tagged second in the 100 free, Heitzer in the 100 back and Taylor McCracken snagged second in the 100 breaststroke. On the boys side, the 200 free relay and 400 free relay squads consisting of Jake Nemeth, Josh Meharey, Dylon Kuhn and Quade Jackman then Ryan, Nemeth, Cornell and Maust posted a second. Nemeth also finished second with a personal-best swim time in the 200-IM. Teammate Jackman earned a second in the 50 free and 100 breaststroke. Meharey also touched second in the 100 butterfly.
Head Coach Linda Lenz said “the most improved swims went to Jake Nemeth, -13.50 in the 200-IM and Taylor McCracken, -19.05 in the 500 free.”
The team finished up its scheduled meets for the season with a Feb. 9 invitational at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. The swimmers who qualified for the district meet will practice for the competition.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh fans pay tribute to ‘Mockingjay Part 1’
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- The WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Review: ‘Mockingjay — Part 1’ a glum setup for ‘Hunger Games’ finale
- Carnegie Science Center adds legendary Buhl Planetarium to railroad village
- Child flown to Pittsburgh hospital after being struck by car in Beaver County
- Pittsburgh find missing 12-year-old girl
- First Draft: Leave the wine corked and serve beer for Thanksgiving
- Education program comes full circle at UPG
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Fashion FYI: Designer Tory Burch turns into author