Ellis shines in pool; leads Indians to big win against Mars
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Thad Ellis, a senior, has only been swimming for three years. Before that, he played squash.
Last week, Ellis turned in a solid effort as the Indians squashed Mars in swimming action.
Ellis won two individual events and was part of one winning relay team in the meet. He also won one event and was part of two winning relays in a losing effort against Plum last week.
He has not yet chosen a college, but said he wants to go somewhere warm. At this point, he has no plans to continue swimming.
“I want to concentrate on academics,” Ellis said. “I feel that competing in athletics at the college level would take up too much time.
“ I'd like to enjoy some free time while I'm in college.”
He will major in geology. He also plays on the Ultimate Frisbee team at SSA.
Here's a closer look at Ellis :
Q: Who have been your role models in life and in sports?
A: In life, my older brothers have been a big influence. In sports, my role models have been the seniors who preceded me on the swim team.
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Anything outdoors —fishing, hunting and riding bikes.
Q: If you could trade places with anybody for a day, who would it be?
A: A Major League baseball player.
Q: What traits turn you off in a person?
A: Dishonesty and closed-mindedness.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “It's a Wonderful Life” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “Duck Dynasty.”
Q: What type of music do you listen to the most?
A: Classic rock and country.
Q: What sport would you be playing if you weren't a swimmer?
A: Squash. It's a lot of fun.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: A.J. Burnett.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Mila Kunis.
Q: Who is your favorite musician or band?
A: The Beatles and Jimmy Buffett. My dad is a Parrothead so I guess I'm a Parakeet.
Q: What would make up your all-time favorite meal?
A: Barbecue pulled pork, homemade mac and cheese and a brownie sundae.
Q: Would you prefer to get free Penguins tickets, Steelers tickets, Pirates tickets or would you rather have the cash?
A: Penguin tickets. They're hard to come by.
Q: People would be surprised to know that I …
A: ... Like to wash cars, I collect fossils and I like to go to the museum.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise past Twins
- Beaver County widow won’t lose home over $6.30 late fee
- Gibsonia’s Saad shows off Stanley Cup at 911th Airlift Wing
- Steelers unfazed by Brady suspension saga
- Judge adds 2 years to sentence of Baldwin Borough man acquitted of murder
- Police: Scottdale man had child porn on computer
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Plum High School teacher held for court on charges of intimidation
- Housing Authority to treat Brookline senior complex for bedbugs
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Driver accused of crashing head-on into Ligonier officer’s SUV waives right to preliminary hearing