Ellis shines in pool; leads Indians to big win against Mars
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Thad Ellis, a senior, has only been swimming for three years. Before that, he played squash.
Last week, Ellis turned in a solid effort as the Indians squashed Mars in swimming action.
Ellis won two individual events and was part of one winning relay team in the meet. He also won one event and was part of two winning relays in a losing effort against Plum last week.
He has not yet chosen a college, but said he wants to go somewhere warm. At this point, he has no plans to continue swimming.
“I want to concentrate on academics,” Ellis said. “I feel that competing in athletics at the college level would take up too much time.
“ I'd like to enjoy some free time while I'm in college.”
He will major in geology. He also plays on the Ultimate Frisbee team at SSA.
Here's a closer look at Ellis :
Q: Who have been your role models in life and in sports?
A: In life, my older brothers have been a big influence. In sports, my role models have been the seniors who preceded me on the swim team.
Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Anything outdoors —fishing, hunting and riding bikes.
Q: If you could trade places with anybody for a day, who would it be?
A: A Major League baseball player.
Q: What traits turn you off in a person?
A: Dishonesty and closed-mindedness.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “It's a Wonderful Life” and “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “Duck Dynasty.”
Q: What type of music do you listen to the most?
A: Classic rock and country.
Q: What sport would you be playing if you weren't a swimmer?
A: Squash. It's a lot of fun.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: A.J. Burnett.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Mila Kunis.
Q: Who is your favorite musician or band?
A: The Beatles and Jimmy Buffett. My dad is a Parrothead so I guess I'm a Parakeet.
Q: What would make up your all-time favorite meal?
A: Barbecue pulled pork, homemade mac and cheese and a brownie sundae.
Q: Would you prefer to get free Penguins tickets, Steelers tickets, Pirates tickets or would you rather have the cash?
A: Penguin tickets. They're hard to come by.
Q: People would be surprised to know that I …
A: ... Like to wash cars, I collect fossils and I like to go to the museum.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh hires consultant, former Wisconsin police captain as chief
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Bethel Park mortgage broker pleads guilty
- More pipelines proposed to carry Marcellus gas to southeast markets
- Tomlin: Steelers preparing to face both Browns QBs
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Ferrante jury to come from Allegheny County
- Regulators release details of Highmark’s post-UPMC transition plan