WPIAL swimming to begin at Pitt's Trees Pool
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL Class AAA swimming championships begin Thursday at Trees Pool on the University of Pittsburgh campus, and several Plum swimmers will be in action.
The Mustangs also will be represented in several events Friday as the two-day meet wraps up.
The top three finishers in each relay and individual event at WPIALs advance to the PIAA championships at Bucknell University.
Any finisher in fourth through eighth place also is eligible to compete at states if the time recorded is fast enough when the PIAA compares the times from all of the other district or regional meets and compiles the final lists.
Swimming for AAA is from 3 to 5:30 each day.
Thursday's events are the 200 medley relay, the 200 free, the 200 IM, the 50 free, the 100 fly and the 200 free relay, while the 100 free, the 500 free, the 100 back, the 100 breast and the 400 free relay will be Friday.
Plum seniors Channing Nolan, Mia Pietropola, Luke Frederick, Berty Ruan and Dan Szurley; juniors Katie Gore, Nicole Thompson and Shane Ging; sophomores Rachael Adamski, Brendan Sante, Lucas Cerchairo and Nick Figurelli; and freshmen Tori Metz and Hannah Adamski will swim individually or in relays each day.
Hannah Adamski has the highest individual seed among the Mustangs competitors, as she is seeded 11th in the 50 free (25.26) and will attempt to earn a top-eight medal on Thursday.
The Plum girls 200 free relay also is seeded 11th (1:45.66).
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blight ordinance passed by Connellsville City Council
- Marshals make arrest in fatal Strip District shooting
- Penn Hills transforms into NYC for Vin Diesel witch movie
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- Consol, Noble expect at least $325 million from partnership’s IPO
- Sexual assault victim could receive $100K settlement from Pittsburgh
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Accused Franklin Regional stabber allowed 1-hour furlough to pay respects to grandmother
- Steelers notebook: RT Gilbert not in danger of losing his job
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel