Pine-Richland’s Giordano breaks WPIAL diving record
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
As if winning the WPIAL diving championship last week was not awesome in and of itself, Pine-Richland's Dom Giordano set a WPIAL record with a score of 610, breaking the mark set by Connor Kuremsky.
The impressive gold-medal finish allows the opportunity for Giordano to try to break Kuremsky's PIAA mark of 599.50 that was established in 2011.
“I am really happy,” Giordano said. “Connor is a former club teammate, and I think his coach thought that record was going to be around awhile.”
Giordano said he really wanted a strong finish to his senior season and hopes this momentum carries over to the state meet March 13-16 at Bucknell University.
“I will continue to train and work hard, and I will forget about states for now,” he said.
The senior doesn't want to over-prepare, rather just continue to practice and keep up the consistency that has gotten him this far.
“The mental part won't kick in until I get there,” he said. “I do the dives in my head, and then don't think about them until it happens.”
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Southmoreland, Connellsville athletes fall short of PIAA medal stand
- Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript: May 24, 2013
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- ‘Joke’ prompts British jets to divert airliner carrying 300 from Pakistan
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Former Bethel Park PTO president charged in theft from organization
- Friday’s high of 51 was lowest ever for May 24
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.