Pine-Richland swimmers advance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's back to the state championship swimming meet for Pine-Richland's Kristen and Allison Murslack.
Kristen qualified to swim in the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke by capturing the gold medal in the WPIAL championships, and Allison took silver in the 500 freestyle event.
“The wins shows how far I have come,” Kristen Murslack said. “I learned a lot and wanted to go out strong, so it feels good to win both events my senior year.”
Kristen Murslack had to overcome some adversity to finish strong. She battled illness, a concussion and an elbow injury during the season, but overcame it all.
“We will stick to the gameplan for states,” she said. “We will go up a couple thousand yards in practice and then taper.
“This means a lot, and to win four in a row, I owe a lot to my teammates and coaches,” Kristen Murslack said.
Allison Murslack said the 500 freestyle is tough because it is a long race, but because she has participated in it since starting with her club team, she is used to the rigors.
“I try to get out to a fast start and then find a good pace,” Allison Murslack said. “If you push yourself too much or too fast, you will end up dying.”
The opportunity to go to states with her sister is one not many get, according to Allison Murslack, and her goal is to represent her school well and place at the meet.
“We will see some new competition, but we will keep our normal training,” Allison Murslack said. “A lot of it is mental at this point; the physical work already is done.”
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Baby girl dies when run over by pickup truck in Indiana County
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- New workout craze Piloxing combines mix of disciplines
- Israel hits 30 Gaza homes, kills senior militant
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?