Pine-Richland swimmers advance to PIAAs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's back to the state championship swimming meet for Pine-Richland's Kristen and Allison Murslack.
Kristen qualified to swim in the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke by capturing the gold medal in the WPIAL championships, and Allison took silver in the 500 freestyle event.
“The wins shows how far I have come,” Kristen Murslack said. “I learned a lot and wanted to go out strong, so it feels good to win both events my senior year.”
Kristen Murslack had to overcome some adversity to finish strong. She battled illness, a concussion and an elbow injury during the season, but overcame it all.
“We will stick to the gameplan for states,” she said. “We will go up a couple thousand yards in practice and then taper.
“This means a lot, and to win four in a row, I owe a lot to my teammates and coaches,” Kristen Murslack said.
Allison Murslack said the 500 freestyle is tough because it is a long race, but because she has participated in it since starting with her club team, she is used to the rigors.
“I try to get out to a fast start and then find a good pace,” Allison Murslack said. “If you push yourself too much or too fast, you will end up dying.”
The opportunity to go to states with her sister is one not many get, according to Allison Murslack, and her goal is to represent her school well and place at the meet.
“We will see some new competition, but we will keep our normal training,” Allison Murslack said. “A lot of it is mental at this point; the physical work already is done.”
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pa. to monitor travelers from West Africa for Ebola virus
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Pens look to buck shots, goals trend
- Lower Burrell man charged with shoplifting
- Ligonier groups efforts prove transformative to veterans
- Flight 93 memorial fire hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- Freeport man accused of having child pornography images
- Fábregas: Cancer-stricken California woman chooses to plan her death
- Police investigate 2 shootings in Washington County, one of them fatal