Ligonier Valley swimmers capture medals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ligonier Valley High School swim team members competed in the District 6 diving and swimming championships March 1 and 2 at Penn State's McCoy Natatorium.
Sophomore diver Bethanie Meharey won the diving championship. She is the first Ligonier Valley District Champion scoring 277.30 and the first Ligonier Valley diver going to the state meet. Meharey is coached by Tricia Brownlee of Derry Area High School because Ligonier along with other area schools do not have a diving program. Brownlee said that she is proud of Meharey's hard work and dedication to make it this far and she looks for her to have a great experience and do well at the state competition.
The Ligonier Valley swimmers that earned medals are Sam Maust in the 200 and 500-freestyle. Maust captured a third- and fifth-place medal in the events.
Shelbi Shearer set a new record for the Rams with a time of 2:04.66 in the 200 freestyle and snagged a fifth-place medal in the event. She also set a record in the 500 freestyle, 5:41.31 and received a fourth-place medal.
The Ligonier Valley swimmers that earned team points are Michaela Long, Madison Lillicoth, Katie DeMayo and Shelbi Shearer in the 200-freestyle relay, placing sixth. Lillicoth along with Becky Heitzer, Skylar Piper and Allison Fox took eighth in the 200-medley relay. Sam Maust, Quade Jackman, Matt Ryan and Jake Nemeth also placed eighth in the 200-medley relay and the same swimmers tagged ninth in the 200-freestyle relay in the boys competition. Nicole Wissinger finished 10th in the 200-IM and Joshua Meharey snagged 10th in the 100 butterfly.
Head coach Linda Lenz said “the Ligonier Valley Rams showed a lot of spirit behind the blocks by coordinating a “Harlem Shuffle” with all 21 teams participating, prior to the start of competition.”
The team members competed March 13 and 14 at the PIAA swimming and diving state championship at Bucknell University.
Sharon L. Davis is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
- Sutter: Staal effect felt on 3rd line with Penguins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Van Halen plays plenty of favorites in First Niagara show
- More than 100 stamp bags confiscated in Greensburg; 4 arrested