Ligonier Valley swimmers capture medals
By Sharon L. Davis
Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 4:30 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013
Ligonier Valley High School swim team members competed in the District 6 diving and swimming championships March 1 and 2 at Penn State's McCoy Natatorium.
Sophomore diver Bethanie Meharey won the diving championship. She is the first Ligonier Valley District Champion scoring 277.30 and the first Ligonier Valley diver going to the state meet. Meharey is coached by Tricia Brownlee of Derry Area High School because Ligonier along with other area schools do not have a diving program. Brownlee said that she is proud of Meharey's hard work and dedication to make it this far and she looks for her to have a great experience and do well at the state competition.
The Ligonier Valley swimmers that earned medals are Sam Maust in the 200 and 500-freestyle. Maust captured a third- and fifth-place medal in the events.
Shelbi Shearer set a new record for the Rams with a time of 2:04.66 in the 200 freestyle and snagged a fifth-place medal in the event. She also set a record in the 500 freestyle, 5:41.31 and received a fourth-place medal.
The Ligonier Valley swimmers that earned team points are Michaela Long, Madison Lillicoth, Katie DeMayo and Shelbi Shearer in the 200-freestyle relay, placing sixth. Lillicoth along with Becky Heitzer, Skylar Piper and Allison Fox took eighth in the 200-medley relay. Sam Maust, Quade Jackman, Matt Ryan and Jake Nemeth also placed eighth in the 200-medley relay and the same swimmers tagged ninth in the 200-freestyle relay in the boys competition. Nicole Wissinger finished 10th in the 200-IM and Joshua Meharey snagged 10th in the 100 butterfly.
Head coach Linda Lenz said “the Ligonier Valley Rams showed a lot of spirit behind the blocks by coordinating a “Harlem Shuffle” with all 21 teams participating, prior to the start of competition.”
The team members competed March 13 and 14 at the PIAA swimming and diving state championship at Bucknell University.
Sharon L. Davis is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
- Senators exude confidence after stirring Game 3 victory
- Heart patients accuse Excela of conspiracy
- Nemacolin casino offers way to skirt entrance fee
- Crews dig through night after Oklahoma twister kills at least 51
- Candidates begin frantic last hours of campaigning as polls open
- Pitt baseball team has a lot at stake
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.