Fox Chapel swim teams shine at WPIALs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL Class AAAA swimming championships were held on Thursday and Friday at Pitt's Trees Pool.
On Friday, Fox Chapel's Noah Cagley finished sixth in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:44.64. The winning time was 1:41.86.
In the 200 individual medley, the Foxes' Scott Sterrett finished fourth at 1:54.54. The third-place finisher was .12 seconds faster than Sterrett.
In Saturday's action, Cagley finished fifth in the 500 freestyle while Sterrett came in sixth in the 100 breaststroke.
Zihan Su finished seventh in the 100 backstroke. Overall, the boys finished sixth in the team standings with 141 points.
In girls action on Saturday, FC's Franny Dean finished fourth in the 500 freestyle.
Sia Beasley came in seventh in the 100 backstroke. The girls ended up in ninth place.
All told, the Foxes had 15 swimmers entered. They were Kelly Ariel, Beasley, Alexis Boyd, Maura Clark, Dean, Claire McCarthy, Anna Mucci and Amanda Todd for the girls; and Cagley, Sterrett, Zu, Dante Cordaro, Travis Eckman, Ryan Foster and Andrew Siar for the boys.
The Foxes set eight new team records at the meet.
Dean set a record in the 100 breaststroke while the boys broke records in seven events.
Setting school marks were: the 200 medley relay team of Su, Cordaro, Sterrett and Cagley; the 400 freestyle relay team of Cagley, Su, Sterrett and Foster; Cagley in the 100 and 200 freestyle; Sterrett in the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke; and Su in the 100 backstroke.
Dean, Beasley, Cagley, Su, Sterrett, Cordaro and divers Miranda Simon and Emily Eames will represent Fox Chapel at the PIAA AAA swimming and diving championships March 13 to 16 at Bucknell University.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- American to halt 2 direct routes from Pittsburgh International
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Pa. business interests decry EPA ozone proposal as economic albatross
- Western Pennsylvania schools’ denial of access to roofers prompts suit
- Statewide high school football notebook: Longtime Berwick coach set to begin final season
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- Police: Woman faked Mt. Pleasant robbery
- Hempfield officials to review site plan for Excela Health Orthoplex