Alle-Kiski Valley state swimming preview capsule
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 12:46 a.m.
PIAA swimming & diving championships
• Kinney Natatorium at Bucknell
• Making waves: After last year, Freeport's Bria Otwell is ready to pass the torch at the Class AA girls state meet. “I know what it's like now, and I won't be a freshman,” Otwell said about returning to the state meet this season as a sophomore. “That's somebody else's job now.” Her word must have spread because now there appears to be a lineup of applicants. This year's PIAA championships will be a coming-out party for a talented group of freshman girls from the Alle-Kiski coverage area. In all, five ninth-grade girls from the area will compete for spots on the medal stand. ... Otwell took fifth in the 200-yard individual medley and seventh in the 500-yard freestyle last year. The two-time WPIAL 200 IM champion returns to compete in both events. ... St. Joseph senior Holly Stein comes into the meet off a second-place finish in the WPIAL 100-yard breaststroke. She is seeded fourth in the event at states. ... On the boys side, Knoch senior Ian Lindsey is seeded fifth in the Class AA 100 breaststroke. Lindsey, Valley's Cody Schrecongost and Fox Chapel's Scott Sterrett and Zihan Su are making repeat appearances at the PIAA meet.
• Alle-Kiski Valley qualifiers: Boys — Class AA: Ian Lindsey, Sr., Knoch (200-yard individual medley, 100-yard breaststroke); Cody Schrecongost, Jr., Valley (200-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle); Nathan Walls, Jr., Knoch (500-yard freestyle); Austin Wittmer, So., Knoch (200 free, 100 free). Class AAA: Noah Cagley, So., Fox Chapel (100 free); Scott Sterrett, Sr., Fox Chapel (200 IM, 100 breast); Zihan Su, Sr., Fox Chapel (100-yard backstroke); Fox Chapel 200-yard medley relay.
Girls — Class AA: Sabrina Bowman, Fr., St. Joseph (100-yard butterfly, 100-yard backstroke); Morgan Joseph, Jr., Kittanning (100 fly, 100 back), Abby Jones, Fr., Knoch (500-yard freestyle); Bria Otwell, So., Freeport (200-yard individual medley, 500 free); Zoe Pawlak, Fr., Freeport (50-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle); Holly Stein, Sr., St. Joseph (100-yard breaststroke, 200 IM); Knoch 200-yard freestyle relay. Class AAA: Hannah Adamski, Fr., Plum (50 free); Sia Beasley, Jr., Fox Chapel (100 back); Franny Dean, So., Fox Chapel (500 free); Emily Eames, So., Fox Chapel (diving); Paris Krug, Fr., Kiski Area (200-yard freestyle); Miranda Simon, So., Fox Chapel (diving).
—Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Agreement nears on Springdale police chief’s duties
- A-K Valley students offer F.R. Strong support
- Governor signs child abuse protection bills
- Victory on Friday could propel Bunola’s Salka into title fight
- Bronze flower vases stolen from cemetery
- Watch out for the freeze
- Leechburg adds 2 part-time police officers
- Punxsutawney driver gets jail sentence for fatal crash
- Starkey: Fleury’s future at stake
- Cheswick fire truck to arrive in June
- Vandals strike Kittanning doctor’s memorial in picnic area