Local swimmers set for PIAA AAA meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Members of the Gateway varsity boys swim team are putting the final touches on preparations for the PIAA Class AAA championships Friday and Saturday at Bucknell University.
Senior Drew Nosbisch and juniors Alex Caprara, Alex Bolen and Jake Beley will swim in individual and relay events. Nosbisch, Caprara and Beley return to states, while Bolen will be there for the first time.
The quartet will compete in the 200 and 400 free relays. The 200 free relay is seeded 16th, while the 400 free relay is seeded 18th.
Nosbisch, the WPIAL runner-up in the 100 breast, is seeded third in the event at states, while Caprara is the eighth seed.
Caprara also is seeded 24th in the 200 IM, and Nosbisch is the 12th seed in the 100 fly.
Monroeville resident and Oakland Catholic senior Alexandra Elizeus will swim at states one final time, and she will take part in girls 100 backstroke (17th seed), the 200 free relay (16th seed) and the 400 free relay (fifth seed).
The AAA girls preliminary swims will be at 8 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. The consolation and championship finals for the girls will be at 5:30 p.m. Friday and 5:45 p.m. Saturday.
The boys AAA prelim swims will be Friday and Saturday at 10:30 a.m., and the consolation and championship finals will be at 8 p.m. Friday and 8:15 p.m. Saturday.
Like WPIALs, the PIAA meet will have the 200 medley relay, the 200 free, the 200 IM, the 50 free, the 100 fly and the 200 free relay on the first day, with the 100 free, the 500 free, the 100 back, the 100 breast and the 400 free relay on day two.
The top eight from each individual and relay event in the preliminaries return for the championship-finals heat. Those that placed ninth through 16th will compete in a consolation-finals race.
The Pennsylvania Cable Network will air the day-one consolation and championship finals for AAA on a tape-delay basis Saturday evening.
The girls events will be at 7:30 p.m., while the boys events will be at 9.
Day-two tape-delay coverage of the AAA consolation and championship finals will air on Sunday at 3:15 p.m. (girls) and 4:45 (boys).
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412- 388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Couple taken into custody after 8-hour standoff in Hempfield
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Police end standoff with New Kensington man
- Narduzzi set to begin more critical evaluations during Pitt football spring drills
- Hays eagle egg watch continues
- North Buffalo man charged with distributing child porn
- Freshman arrested in Burrell High School bomb threat
- Pittsburgh angles to keep Heinz headquarters in merger
- Aldi to open store where Bottom Dollar closed in Garfield
- New Kensington-Arnold School Board superintendent hangs on as board vote falls short
- Fracking foes pack zoning discussion in Ligonier Township